Searching...
Highlighted

NBN speed

linuts

Just got the NBN activated  (FTTN) on the 50/25 plan No problems with the install  i ran a speed test (ookla)and got ....ping 14ms....download 20.4 Mbps....upload 1.87Mbps.... seeing as thats with a WiFi connection i thought it might be OK.

Then i connected by Ethernet and disabled the WiFi and ran the test again and got ....ping 12ms.....download 20.5Mbps....upload...1.88Mbps.....as you can see there is next to no difference between WiFi and Ethernet. So why is my Wired connection so low...dreading to think what its going to be tonight.

I was told that i would get between 35 and 44Mbps . Who do i contact at Optus to check why the speed is so low.

Thanks

Re: NBN speed

petergdownload

Ok,

FTTN is unfortunately the worst of the NBN technologies (you lost that lottery). Unlike other NBN technologies (HFC, FTTP, FTTC, etc) it has a variable speed capability that you can only find out once you are connected. That said it looks like your speeds are in the ball park.

First up, note its a 50/20 plan (not 50/25) and in practice this translates to 40/15 generally (even in peak hour)

I would suggest that you are actually still on the 25/5 tier plan. This translates to 20/4 Mbps generally. Your results aren't far out of line with that. So I would be contacting OPtus via LIVECHAT and asking them to confirm the 50/20 teir is activated (and that's what your plan says too). It can take a little while with some turning your modem on and off for a while to update.

If you're really unlucky those speeds are actually the max your line is capable of. You should be able to ask the Optus Service Staff to give you a max line speed that they test from their end. Tell us what they say. There are possibly ways you can improve the result - do you only have a single phone outlet in your home?

Peter Gillespie 

Paddylee

I would also think you may be 1km+ from the node and thats as good as you will get with fttn.

I know that the major Telcos now wait for line testing by nbn to determine if your line supports the higher speeds. 

If it does not support them then they cant offer you the plans (unless you agree to a substandard service)

The optus router will provide line stats, this would give the clearest indication as to what is going on 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

linuts

Thanks for the replies   I didn't know that they put you on a lower speed to test the connection. I will contact Live Chat and see if i am on the 50/20 plan.

Thanks

petergdownload

Can be the issue, not necessarily is. Anyway see what they say.

Do you only have a single phone outlet in your home?

Peter Gillespie

linuts

No we have two 

petergdownload

FTTN Speeds can be heavily impacted by multiple outlet points. Sort out the speeds as best as possible via OPtus first but you will likely see an improvement in speeds if you get someone in to run a single clean line to your modem point (should cost around $100)

Peter Gillespie

linuts

Thanks for the Info...what sort of tradie would put in a new single clean line ...?

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Apparently this is a list of cablers.

But although I haven't used them Jim's have ones that don't work with electricity.

Note the possible improvement is unknown but FTTN is definitely susceptible to old wiring and multi points in the home.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

linuts

Once again Thanks for the Info: I contacted Optus on their Facebook page And gave them the stats from my speed test and the Modem stats; I was asked to run a speed test with the Ethernet connected and to send them a screenshot, which i did.

Optus got back to me to say that they have had a look at my line and there is a speed Impairment on it ( whatever that means ) and that they have escalated it and informed NBNCo... and will contact me when its fixed.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos