cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN speed

Today I was connected to NBN on the Optus $80 package so I can watch EPL and enjoy faster internet access. Im not a happy customer my download speed prior to NBN was 9.5Mbps and now is 14.2 Mbps this is due to congestion 95%  of the avalible band width being used so the technical department tell me. Not happy and looking at my options . David

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: NBN speed

Sorry Im in Morphett Vale in SA

David

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Dchad, sorry to hear about your frustrations here. We're actively monitoring the network to optimise performance, and there's significant investment from us going into this area. You can reduce the affect of known slows on your connection a number of ways, such as optimising your home network by limiting the amount of devices connected at once, and minimising WiFi usage during peak times (generally 7pm-12am). The $80 plan is configured on a 25Mbps speed tier, however this is a theoretical benchmark, and many variables including peak time slows can affect top achievable speed.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"The $80 plan is configured on a 25Mbps speed tier, however this is a theoretical benchmark, and many variables including peak time slows can affect top achievable speed."

Sorry @Tano, but that excuse doesn't cut it anymore (The ACCC recently went to great lengths to tell companies like Optus to stop peddling such excuses). ADSL involved a "theoretical benchmark" that was mostly influenced by the distance from your home. The NBN  Optus is selling a 25Mbps product and things like "peak time slows" are a direct result of Optus not living up to its end of the bargain (i.e. not purchasing sufficient bandwidth from the NBN to cover their 'unlimited' plans.) 

FWIW the answer to "Why isn't Optus providing the speeds it has promised?" is not "Use less devices and turn off your WiFi". 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

You are aware that the CVC cost alone to supply 25Mbits is ~15.75 x 25 then you add in the AVC costs and that hits around $410 a month.

You cant in now way expect a company to pay $410 a month for the service they charge $80 on (and then you have other expenses that dont get paid to nbn).

The speed is "Up To" and until NBN cut CVC costs even firther than they are (was a cut only a few months ago so its actualy less that $15.75 - perhaps $14 per Mbit).

Companies purchase X amount and that is shared by all users in that aprticular POI (where your local NBN connections end up) - at peak times you will notice it (this happens on non nbn connections too)

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

What a load of excrement

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well said Peter 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sorry I should have said What a load of excrement Tano and Paddylee and great comments Peter  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Unfortunately - this is what we are left with in Australia.

I just stated the facts that are available publically.

Optus has the following if you look at the page that discusses NBN Speedpacks

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/nbn-speed-packs

Default speed on $80 Plan

This service is configured on NBN Speed Tier 25. Great for when there are a few of you at home, or where more than one device is connected to the internet at the same time.

Many factors affect speed and you will experience download speeds below 25 Mbps during peak times (7pm to 11pm).

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Paddylee

I'm not suggesting Optus can actually make a profit with its current business model. The issue at hand is not whether its possible for Optus to provide service X for cost Y. Its the fact that Optus are promising to provide service X for cost Y. But Optus can't (as your maths ably demonstrates). But faced with this unavoidable shortfall, Optus have elected to continue on as if nothing has changed. I understand the business logic behind this inertia (when they inevitably put up prices and cut performance claims it will mean lost new customers and angry old ones)

As the ACCC has strongly put to all the Telcos they can't keep selling 25Mbps products that only work like that at midnight. If they can only provide 5Mbps in peak hour then the product advertising should make that clear. Failure to provide the advertised speed should result in refunds and penalty ends to any contracts.

IMO Optus need to do a few simple (but painful) things in the near future

1) Stop offering unlimited plans - how can you handle congestion when every and any user can just download without thought?

2) Put prices up - $10 to $20 should about cover it IMO (Other RSPs at this price point are not having anywhere near the same congestion issues)

3) Spend more on NBNCo CVC bandwidth

Unfortunately legacy contracts will mean these changes take some time to take effect. I don't see Optus peak hour congestion issues going away any time soon.

Until then though, Optus need to adjust their advertising claims.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors