cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor frustratedmb
New Contributor

NBN slow Epping NSW

Is anyone else in Epping having problems with NBN slow speed ? I have checked the speeds and sometimes get ridiculously slow speeds of 0.11 Mbps. Optus have been checking and say it is a problem in the NBN network . Last time they said the network was  at 96% utilisation.  So why were we forced off our Optus cable network to get on a substandard network that hasn't got a tiny chance of giving its the speeds we signed on for ? That speed was in the middle of the day too,  not evening peak.  Optus have me a discount but I'd rather have good speeds so I don't have to wait ages for each page to load or even get an error saying I've timed out. And there's not a damned thing I can do about it.  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: NBN slow Epping NSW

Hi frustratedmb,

When checking our coverage map and looking up outages in Epping NSW there is info that advises there is scheduled maintenance that has been going on for the last couple of weeks to that may be impacting your connection.

@petergdownload is our #1 Yes Crowd contributor for everything NBN but I know he'll want to know what type of NBN connection you have as a starting point.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @frustratedmb ,

Yes the tech used would be helpful. I'm assuming it's cable still (hopefully not FTTN). Regardless those speeds indicate a fault (as opposed to a bad network). Regardless of the tech it should perform much better through the day. Legally or has to hit around 80% of the speed you signed up for most of the time(even during peak hour)

Optus can't just pass this of as NBNs problem. Your contact is with Optus and they have to provide what they contacted. If this means them sending out NBN technician s then that's what they need to arrange. So I would contact Optus again and request just that. Let us know what they say.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I was not told about maintenance but I am aware that there has been maintenance done in my area. Outage of maintenance for a brand new network sounds suspicious but if the network was opened before it was ready then it makes sense. If I put the explanation from the customer service rep "It's 96% utilised and it's in the NBN network - Optus can't do anything about that" and "someone is doing maintenance work on it" then that sounds like they are trying to fix something that was never ready to be used in the way it is.

I just want to know when we get what we were promised and what we are paying for. Why was the Optus cable network taken out before the NBN was ready? 

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

They seem to think that calling it an NBN problem and giving me a discount for the next 3 months in a solution. The trouble is they know that I don;t want to spend my life on the phone, giving them my details, being passed from one person to another Smiley Sad

Marie

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @frustratedmb (Marie)

You still aren't taking the hint on NBN technology type. Answers differ depending on your answer.

Once again I'm going to assume you are on cable. The NBN network is being rolled out and when you are passing 40,000 homes a week there will be some issues.

NBN uses the existing Telstra cable (the Optus network had to be junked as it was not up to servicing whole suburbs (just some houses in every street)

The cable is quite capable of delivering 90Mbps to you. Given the figures you recorded there are two possible answers (assuming your modem is working ok).

1) There is an issue with the NBN cable to your house. Ask Optus to arrange an NBN technician to come out and investigate. If the figures you quote are confirmed NBN co will fix the line quickly.

2) Optus are not buying enough band width for your area. 96% utilisation means 96% of what bandwidth Optus but from the NBN. The NBN sells bandwidth to all ISPs to use on the same cable and has lots available. This is indeed an optus issue and they are legally required to buy more or start telling you they'll give you less.

Either way it's on Optus to fix. Providing refunds is something they actually have to do if they are not meeting there advertised commitments and those are 80mbps almost always. Optus can't blame NBNCo for their failing to meet what they say they will deliver (they tried and got fined a while ago)

If you can't get a better response from Optus then you can request to exit the contract without any penalty. You might find another ISP can be more proactive in getting the issue fixed.

Peter Gillespie

PS Missed the scheduled announcement. That obviously could have an impact but it shouldn't last more than a day or 3. Hopefully the speeds improve rapidly.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors