Perfectly happy with our previous cable service, been with Optus for over 10 years. Forced to switch to NBN and we're three days in with nothing but constant drop outs. Every hour or so it drops out. I take the coaxial cable out, put it back in and it works. Another 30 to 60 minutes later and it's out again. What, am I supposed to just keep doing this every hour on the hour for the rest of my days?
Tax payers money well spent...Basically paid to have my own internet become totally unreliable. Great...If this isn't resolved in the next few days, I'll be contacting the TIO.
Cable users used to be the top 5% of internet customers. The NBN is about making what you take for granted available to the other 95%.
Its possible your modem is not working or the NBN line needs fixing.
Are you using WiFi or a LAN cable to connect to your modem? If WiFi, try LAN and see if it continues to drop out. If it doesn't then it's the modem's WiFi signal and not the NBN connection itself
The modem is fine. I mean it's cheap crap but it works for what I need. It's the NBN box which keeps dropping out as evidenced by the lights on the front going blank. I've tried LAN as well as wi-fi. Makes no difference.
It does sound like there's an issue on you line. Ask Optus to request the NBN send out a tech to evaluate.
They're connecting 50,000 houses a week at the moment. There are bound to be some issues.
I feel your pain.
I've had cable for 20 years, and the NBN has just added another box and costs me 25% more for the same speed. The point of the NBN was for those with decent broadband like you & me to subsidise the rest of the country which Telstra et al deemed non-commercial. Was never going to end well, and would have been much simpler just to subsidise directly.
On your issue, it could be a faulty cable connection or the feed from the NBN box to the modem. Check if there is any play in the cable and use a LAN cable to the modem instead of wifi.
Presumably the direct subsidy model was looked at and found wanting. Logically it would have meant installing the NBN to the most expensive parts of Australia and then providing an ongoing drain on the public purse to continue to support something that would never be remotely profitable.
Also keep in mind that he optus HFC cable has been found close to EOL and is to be junked. It seem likely that Optus customers would soon face losing their cable or some heafty price rises to repair and replace it.
That's exactly what the NBN does, except there is an inbuilt subsidy from easy-to-service to hard-to-service customers (eg the $90,000 connection to a Tasmanian bowls club). Also, there is likely to be a write off of around $20bn - $30bn if/when NBN Co is sold.
The direct subsidy route was used by Telecom/Telstra to fund telephone services in the bush, and cost around $200m pa.
Hey @Stephan, if it's the NTD (Arris modem) that's continually dropping out then in all likelihood we will need to raise a ticket with NBNco. They'll determine whether or not a field technician is required to go out and take a look. We also have a clear record of each individual session which is time stamped on your service report.
A large number of short sessions within a relatively short period are a clear indicator of service drop outs. You can contact our NBN fault team on → 131344. You can also report faults via live chat → http://yesopt.us/chat2us. If at any time you need us to follow up on the ticket, you can PM myself or one of our other moderators. We're always happy to help out.