cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor NatL
Occasional Contributor

NBN says it is connected but can't get access?

Anyone else had problems with NBN and Optus modems?

I am onto my third modem because the Optus Techs say there is a problem with the modem. It says it is connected but I get no internet connection. Not all the time, When it is good, it is good. But multiple times a day it stops working.

Speed tests either time out or report download errors.

Tracert timeout and take many hops at these times.

My neighbour had the same problem and after lots of complaining she said she got a new IP address one day and since then it is working brilliantly.

Does anyone know about this and how I can get me one of these "good" IP addresses?

It is not the NBN line either as this has been monitored without issues. When I can't get the modem to work I have to plug straight into the NBN box on the wall and I get speeds of 90+mbps. So it is definately something Optus has stuffed up.

Also our other neighbour gets the same issues and even had her kids ove out of home because they can't get good access.

I want it fixed!!! I just want it to work well and get what I am paying for.

Please someone tell me there is an easy fix.

TPG is looking great right about now.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RetiredModerator Alex_H
RetiredModerator

Re: NBN says it is connected but can't get access?

Hey there @NatL - Gah! How frustrating Smiley Sad More than happy to take a look at the service for you and see what's going on, can you please send me a PM with your username/account number? 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Alex,

I PMed you on facebook a few days ago.

I have a technician coming to my house on Tuesday but if you can sort it out before then I would be grateful.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Alex_H
RetiredModerator

@NatL - Oh, okay, fair enough. Can you please PM me with your Facebook name? 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yesterday we finally solved the problem (well so far so good anyway). It turns out that we were picking up the IP address of the modem at the next door neighbours house (also Optus NBN custsomers). How, I don't know because we never knew each others passwords or anything. Even after they got a new modem and few weeks ago we were still able to connect to it. So when the Optus guy was on the phone we did a test, I asked the neighbour to turn off their modem. Then I was able to connect to my modem. So we changed the password on the neighbours modem and so far it has been ok. We also made my IP a static IP. This would explain why the neighbours have also been pulling their hair out with connetion problems. What I don't get is HOW?? How can that even be possible when you need a password and even after they got a new modem??? Anyway, hopefully both us and the neighbours will have no more issues.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Guy
RetiredModerator

Hey @NatL. I'm glad that got sorted but it does sound really strange Smiley Frustrated Are you able to PM me with any reference numbers so I can check this for you? I'd like to make 100% sure this is the correct solution.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Peabody
New Contributor

I spent days on this problem. Followed all the troubleshooting directions. Finally Optus is sending a new modem. I'll have to send it back! My son is a network manager for a large company and he has always told me to update drivers whenever new hardware is added to a PC. I actually did this using Windows to do it. WIN 10 reported my driver as the latest. Not so! After many hours of frustration, I decided to search the Intel site. There were several up dated drivers! Installed the latest and presto! Problem gone. Help centre techs could save the company $$_$ by getting callers to install new drivers rather than continuing to send out new modems. Perhaps a help page on driver installation might also help those who are less technically inclined.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors