Searching...

NBN routers modems

Cosmic3168

Does anybody know if we can use a modem other than the 2 black/white modem that are supplied by Optus they are both useless since connecting to the nbn I’ve had nothing but drama tried both modems the black one that you have to pay for is worst than the white one given for free I’m using extenders and still can’t get the coverage around the whole house ( which I didn’t have before switching providers with adsl) dropping outs 

looking for any suggestions please

thanks

Re: NBN routers modems

Dan_C

Hey @Cosmic3168, thanks for reaching out.

We don't offer official support for non-Optus supplied modems/routers however we do have a blog that you should fine useful → https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/Can-I-use-my-BYO-MODEM-on-the-NBN/ta-p/202224. You do need to remember that for technical reason we're unable to support an Optus VOIP service on a BYO modem (there are work arounds however you'd need to do a bit of research).

If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot them on through!

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

SillyGogo

Sounds like a chalenge here. Have you ever have good WIFI coverage around your house or just poor with the Optus modems? What is the layout of your house? Is it poor signal or speed?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Cosmic3168

Well I use to be with Telstra on adsl with the modem we’re it is and didn’t have any issues 

when I switched to Optus NBN I didn’t have good wifi so I called Optus which suggested i up grade to there black modem which I did ( for a extra cost) then they suggested I move the modem which I did then they suggested I get a range extender which I did ( for a extra cost) but to be honest nothing has changed I don’t know if it’s the wifi or speed issues I’m on the 100 MHz and keep getting extra usage charges on my mobile download ( which Optus keep reimbursing me) devices keep asking for passwords well it took me about 15 mins to login to reply and the wifi shows good wifi so I’m not sure what to do but since I have had NBN it’s been nothing but a nightmare 

i don’t mind spending some money to get a better modem but will it fix the issue

note: I really don’t think the nbn was up and running properly before they forced us to switch to it and now we the customers are going to have to put up with it while they try to fix it 

SillyGogo

Let start from step 1.

1. NBN coming into the house is working properly. Check with tech support that your line is connected and stable.

2. Check the modem is working correctly, sounds like you have a lot of drop out. Connect a lan cable to see if you are getting a stable connection. My modem was playing up with WiFi. I did a few hard reset by holding down the reset button for about 10 sec.

3. WiFi, check that you are strong signal around the house. My suspection is that the WiFi is dropping out with password issue.

4.check on your phone, turn off the low network feature on your phone. Some will switch to mobile data when the WiFi signal is low. This should minimise the mobile data usage and let you keep an eye on the number of WiFi drop out. 

Also, what is the layout of your house?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Cosmic3168

I have a double story and the modem used to be upstairs nearly in the middle of the house

now it’s downstairs at the front of the houses because the lan distribution socket is there 

I have 2 ports connected by lan 

and have a range extender were the modem used to be upstairs 

hope that helps 

Cosmic3168

As for speed I can’t see any difference between adsl and nbn

i am supposed to have the quickest nbn speed 100mhz should I be getting speeds like changing channels on tv??

i don’t know what I should be getting and how can I check what speeds I’m getting ?

what speeds should I be looking at when I do speed check in you opinion?

thanks for your help

Cosmic3168

Update just did 2 speed test

1st 63 mbps

2nd 70 mbps

SillyGogo

Those speed test should be much faster than the ADSL2+ connection, It is not far for the 100Mbps. So the speed coming into your home is not the best but acceptable. Was the speed test via a wire or WIFI? If it is wifi then i suspect if using wire you should able to get about 80-90 Mbps.

Next issue is the WIFI performace and range. Please tell us more about the LAN cable, is there a port linking from the lower floor front to the upper floor? I suspect the upper back of your home is the main area of the internet usage. How is your modem connected to the NBN, ie what type of connection do you have? 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
82 Kudos
40 Kudos
32 Kudos
25 Kudos
23 Kudos