Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN router range

A couple of months ago Optus told me the existing cable broadband network in my area was being discontinued (on 5th Sept) effectively forcing me to switch to the NBN. I was very reluctant as my Optus cable broadband had always worked well, fast enough, very reliable and good signal coverage throughout my entire house. I was assured the NBN would be a major step up and there was nothing to worry about. Nearly two weeks after installation it is still a disaster. Technicians came out again today to run checks but informed me that the modem router supplied (I'm on an $80 p/m plan) has an effective range of only 5m. My old router had a range of 20-30m. This probably explains why I can only get connected to wifi in one room of my house. Previously I could get a good, strong signal in all rooms and even in the garden. I'm going to try using an extender, but if this doesn't work what can I do?  Any help would be much appreciated as Optus seem to be out of ideas/suggestions and we are running up a huge bill hotspotting from our 4 x Optus mobile phones. My son is studying for HSC so has to be online.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: NBN router range

I'd look at getting a new modem myself. You don't need to use the Optus supplied modem unless you want to use the homephone to. Even if you do want to use the homephone, you can switch off the wifi in your Optus modem, connect via an ethernet cable to a better router and use that for WiFi. Plenty of people have done that and posted on here with great results

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

It is strange that the range is so poor with the new modem. Are you connected to the 5ghz or 2.4? In general 5ghz will give you better speed but the 2.4ghz will give you better range. Maybe you have a faulty modem or it is in a bad location.

1. Ask for a new modem.

2. Try the 2.4ghz if you haven't already tried it.

3. Connect a Ethernet cable from the LAN port of the new modem to your old cable modem and use the wifi from your cable modem.

4. Buy a brand new modem or router from a computer shop.

5. Move the modem to another spot or move any questionable devices away from the modem. Microwaves are usually problem matic.

6. Break down some walls, open plan living are in fashion.

7. Get a powerlines adaptor and have an wifi hotspot in each room. Go for the av2 devices.

8. Cable your whole house with cat6 cables. You will have great low laten connections.

just some ideas

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

i have the identical situation!

We have just moved from the country to urban melbourne and switched from wireless broadband to nbn

We are now in week 2 with dropouts and almost no modem coverage with the supplied modem

(if i connect via cat6 no problem otherwise my ‘speed’

drops to less than 2mbps)

I had an Optus tech booked for this morning and no-one came!

Considering we are on some kind of nbn/modem/phone bundle and don’t require a phone and the modem is clearly useless i am now attempting to return it and change our plan

This is totally unacceptable 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@neilmac, had we recognised an issue that would require a tech appointment?

Which modem have we given you? Do you have our standard white Sagemcom router or our Black router with A.C? 

What sort of trouble shooting have we done thus far? 

Have you tried changing your WiFi channel? WiFi uses commonly shared frequencies which may interfere with your local Network.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony-Knowledge/How-to-change-your-Wi-Fi-channel-and-...

Failing that, send us a private message and we'll discuss some options. I need your full name, DOB and account number.

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Dan I have responded by Private message - many thanks

Neil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Dan I tried changing the wireless channel with no effect on connectivity or speed

The range bars always show full 4 bars on my computer but an impossibly slooooooow speed

(less than 2mbps d/l as previous email) If i  connect the computer via cat6 cable to the modem i get full expected speed

of 30+mbps down/ 20+ mbps up

(i am paying for 50 down / 20 up)

You mentioned the other type of modem - is it also 2.4ghz or is it 5ghz? Also if my issue is range am i better off with a 2.4ghz modem?

My previous Optus wireless broadband modem had a range of about 40 metres or more

This current Sagemcom seems to have an effective range of about 4 metres!!

Do i just ditch the Sagemcom and go and buy my own that will actually cover our house? This is not good and makes me want to switch providers even though i have been with Optus for 10 years

0 Kudos