Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
yayat
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN "connection unsuccessful" for the new bought projector

have been with optus for more than a decade, after upgrading to the NBN recently, the project, just puchased last year, could not connect with WIFI throught optus NBN, it shows "connection unsuccessful", with correct information input. the project could access WIFI with mobile phone "hotspot"

Since the projector works well with mobile provided hotspot, but could not connect with WIFI from optus NBN moderm provided, 

Have contacted with the service staff, it seems they could not fix it, 

Could I say, because of optus NBN failure, my project is not available for using any more, actually, we use optus NBN is not for "sorry, we could not fix it", it is very inconvenience without projector, I need answer

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN "connection unsuccessful" for the new bought projector

Interesting symptoms.

First up its nothing to do with the NBN as such. This is simply and issue between your projector and the modem. Something may be broken or incompatible or not set up correctly. So a few questions and some initial testing:

1) What NBN type do you have? FTTP, FTTN, HFC, etc.

2) When you try join you mobile phone to the modem wifi do you see two SIDs? One that says 2G and one that says 5G?

3) Do you have the new Optus modem with 4G backUp?

4) Any chance you can plug the projector directly into the Optus modem (by ethernet cable) and see if the connection works that way (as a test)

5) What model projector do you have?

6) What network settings are in your projector (specifically are you setting it to "AUTO" or "DHCP"?

7) In the Optus modem settings is there a setting for "AUTO" or "DHCP" server and is it on?

yayat
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for the prompt reply, the reason I am seeking help or assistance, just because i have known nothing about IT technology, 

My simple understanding is internet access, should be provided the same service as before, for the regular users, we have upgraded from ADSL to NBN, what we have to do is to input the correct user name and passwords, but who knows why the connection is unsuccessful,

Thank you for many question marks, but unfortunately, i do not know how to answer, and where to find the answers, 

The projector was bought last year, working well with ADSL, but with NBN upgraded as per government's requests, it could not perform as usual with WIFI function, it turns into silly block, I have to carry a cable and link it to my pc, or use my mobile data, which will be paid by data usage, 

It is not fair for the regular consumer with no technology back ground, we have no idea why the projector could use mobile phone hotspot WIFI signals, but can not get connected with NBN one, with all informaiton input correctly,

The projector itself should not carry all the responsibilities, because it is functional,

Sorry peter, most of the questions, i barely be able to answer with precise information, i am not even close to IT knowledge well maintained one, but it seems with 4G back up, for the projector, there have two numbers, one is "MAC" and another is "SN",

Thank you and kind regards,

0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi @yayat, since you have changed your connection from ADSL to NBN which means the modem has changed as well. Can you double check that your projector is connecting to the correct new Wi-Fi network of the new modem. Also the Wi-Fi password is case sensitive. 

There are devices / projectors that only support certain Wi-Fi frequency. Make sure you connect to the relevant one (2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz).

Secondly, are you able to connect other devices (mobile, tablet etc) in the home to the NBN Wi-Fi? If yes then this confirms it is not a modem / Wi-Fi issue. It is your projector settings that needs to be looked into.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @yayat,

No problems not being a techy. Yes the change over to the NBN is a big task for many households but it is a one off process and does come with a lot of other benefits for a lot of households nation wide (not the least is x20 speed from ADSL)

Technically the NBN works exactly as the ADSL works in terms of you connecting your projector to it. There's no sudden incompatibility etc. The issue is simply a setting (on either the modem or the projector) that needs to be changed to point to your new modem.

As the projector can connect to your mobile it would suggest the issue is with the Optus modem. So some simpler questions:

1) What is the model of the projector? (e.g. Epson EB-S41, Benq 564t, etc.)

2) Do you have any other equipment connected to the NBN? Is it connected directly via a wire or is it on wifi?

3) Are you techy enough to go to the modem settings page on your PC? i.e. type 192.168.0.1 into your browser?

4) What are the lights on the modem showing? flashing? orange? green? Please indicate symbol and status.

5) Is the old Optus modem gone and turned off?

5) Open up your mobile settings and disable wifi. Then re-enable and look at all the networks in the list you can connect to (should also show signal strength). Is there an entry or two that has 2G or 5G in the name?

Its not a perfect way to communicate but we should be able to sort it out with some testing over a few days.
0 Kudos
yayat
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for all the hints, but i could not work it out, all other devices are working well, and all the necessary information input have been done precisely, 

i have given up for the wifi function of the projector, i bought a cable to connect it with pc, 

anyway, i hope people could be advised that it might have brought some inconvenience while you upgrade ADSL to NBN, it might not be NBN itself, but maybe the router/moderm is a kind of pain, 

I just do not understand, why it is compulsory for everyone to upgrade to NBN, as it shows not much helpful, even it could disfunction your equipment by setting up tricks,

I miss my ADSL so much, but have no choice, as ADSL is to be terminated while NBN is available, 

What a waste of everyone's time and some devices showing" connection unsuccessful"

0 Kudos