Searching...

NBN much slower than previous cable Internet

Trem
I "upgraded" to NBN today, replacing my Optus cable Internet, which has been working nicely for several years, with download speed of around 27 Mbps, very constant. Now, I'm getting between 8 and 10 Mbps dowenload. The Optus salesman told me that I would get 25 Mbps Minimum speed from this new service. Seems like this was simply untrue. I'm sure that our voice conversation was recorded by Optus. I believe this is a breach of Australian Consumer Law. Can anyone at Optus help me resolve this non-delivery of advertised product ?

Re: NBN much slower than previous cable Internet

AlexRH

Hey @Trem, sorry to hear that you've had trouble with your speed straight off the bat Smiley Sad

Are you finding that the speed is fluctuating at all? Does it improve during the day?

If you can PM us with your username/account number we can take a look at what's going on there for you. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Trem

Hi AlexRH,

How do I send you a PM ?  I cannpt see any "Send me a priovate message" link on your profile page.

Thanks,

Trem.

Trem

Hi @AlexRH

How do I send you a PM ?  I cannpt see any "Send me a priovate message" link on your profile page.

Thanks,

Trem.

petergdownload

Optus (and other Telcos) are struggling a bit with keeping performance promises. Contractually they say "Up To" for speeds but yes sales staff also over promise too. Hopefully this should improve as at the moment the NBN rollout is in full swing and the transition is obviously putting a strain on resources. 

If you'er getting well below your contracted speeds I would suggest removing any speed packs your paying for (until you at least hit the minimum consistently). OPtus are also anecdtally letting people out of contracts with no penalty if you're getting sub par performance.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Sam_D

Apologies for the delay here, @Trem - I can see we've received your PM; I'll get back to you there shortly.

If anybody else would like to touch base with us, I can be contacted here Smiley Happy

Bkc98

Hi @Trem

I am in exactly the same boat. 

I have been connected to the NBN for the past 7 weeks and to say that the connect speeds are absolutely pathetic is an understatement and things are only getting worse.

I have been calling Optus pretty much every day and get the same answer. Your node is congested, we have no time frame for any upgrade work to commence or be completed etc etc..

In the past week my router has been rebooting itself on average 3 times an hour. When I have called Optus again to log a case for this issue I simply get the same response as above. How a congested node has anything to do with my router rebooting itself is beyond me but I suspect it actually has nothing to do with it but no one can even be bothered to investigate any issues on the network.

I have been promised calls back, text message with updates but nothing is every sent.

The only thing you can do is log a complaint with the telecommunications industry ombudsman at which point Optus will offer you to exit your contract with no penalties as this is considered a “resolution” by the TIO and the complaint is closed (what a joke).

I am today waiting (again) for a call back from the Optus billing department to discuss my bill. As currently I have little to no internet access, No FetchTV service and an unusable home phone I can see no reason why I should be forced to pay for a service I am not receiving.

As I have stated to Optus numerous times I DO NOT WANT TO EXIT MY CONTRACT I WANT YOU TO PROVIDE THE SERVICE YOU SIGNED ME UP FOR AND I WAS PROMISED

Good luck we are all going to need it.

Sam_D

Thanks for sharing your experience, @Bkc98 - I'm really sorry if we were unable to have this resolved for you Smiley Sad I can assure you that we don't offer release from contracts likely so if this has been the case, it's in recognition of your best interests moving forward. If there's an area for improvement in our network we will always endeavour to have this resolved however we do need to recognise that this may not be within the required time frame for some users. You're welcome to send me a PM on the above link to discuss. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
101 Kudos
63 Kudos
26 Kudos
25 Kudos
18 Kudos