Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Kyp
Occasional Contributor

Re: NBN modem / Optus modem

Hey mate

I'm using the Netcomm NDD-0300 nbn modem which uses the FTTC system.

You could be right about the speed limitations on the switch too. I'm so freaking out of touch it's not funny. 

The switch is 10/100 not a 10/1000 so this be could be an underlying cause. It's an old inherited switch that I had from before. I have a fair few lan wired peripherals hence why it's a 16 port.

Mate I really appreciate the time you have spent on this, you have given me much to think about and places to start and test from. 

I will certainly do some further testing and let you know for sure. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Kyp - I have been thinking about the configuration options and I think in your case, the two separate networks where connections FS116 LAN Port 2 to  Linksys Router WAN and FS116 LAN Port 3 to Sagemcom WAN, is more viable than the alternative FS116 LAN Port 2 to Linksys Router WAN and FS116 Port 3 LAN to Sagemcom LAN with DHCP OFF arrangement.

In the first configuration using two different networks,  if  an additional  FS116 LAN Port 4 is used by a PC1234 for connection to the Internet, other devices on both networks would be prevented from accessing the Internet for that session duration as the NBN Modem is locked into and communicating directly to that PC1234 only. I would expect the same to occur if you put the Sagecom Router into a LAN-LAN link with the FS116 as it is the same as putting in PC1234.  This may explain what was happening in your previous experiments. 

Placing a Switch in front of two Routers may be suitable for applications where the Switch is being used as an IP Passthrough Adapter to more than one terminating device, generally using a small inexpensive 4/5 Port Unmanaged Switch/Smart Switch that enables LAN to WAN connections only. In your case, the FS116 was previously being used in a traditional configuration where it was placed after the Router as an extension to provide more ports for additional  LAN devices. If you proceed with the FS116 front-ending both Routers in a LAN-WAN mode,  devices previoulsy connected to the FS116 would need to be  moved and directly connected to the respective Router spare LAN Ports. You may have to realign your network plans accordingly.

See how you go and it would be great to read your experience of what works and what doesn't. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Good day mate.

Ok just an update. I resolved the issue today when I had some spare time to really tinker.

So basically I turned off an option in the Optus modem which I think may have been causing issue with the network. Basically I turned off DHCP and something called IGMP SNOOPING, I also kept it on the same lan configuration. 

After that I basically started from scratch. From the nbn modem I went directly to my Linksys WAN port. From there I used the first lan port on the Linksys router and plugged it into the Sagemcom WAN port. I then used the second lan port on my Linksys modem to my 16 network port switch and problem was resolved. The phone also worked without an issue. 

I did find in my testing that if I split the nbn lan connection into a switch that the modem lan indicator went orange and slowed down to under 10 mbs which I found weird. Seems it prefers to directly use a WAN port for best performance.

I greatly appreciate the support you have supplied mate, you put me on the path. 

I also threw out three cat 5 cables that somehow made their way into my kit as well, funny how when you have dedicated time without distraction how much you can get done. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Kyp - I am glad you resolved a working configuration that retains the use of your switch as an extension to your Router. It takes a lot of time and can sometimes get a bit frustrating when things don't work as expected. Handy to know what works for people. All the best.  

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again mate, much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hey mate

Just another quick update. 

After setting it in the config on my last reply I have found that the home phone can not be dialed, though you can dial out on it. 

So I updated part of the fix you suggested. I turned DHCP back onto the Sagmcom router, disabled wireless and set the router 192.168.1.3.

I then went straight from the nbn lan to the WAN on the Sagemcom router and connected one cable to the WAN port of my Linksys router. This resolved my issue and my lan is running on 192.168.0.X network without an issue.

I suppose it's all trial and error but these I could do without the headaches. Thanks again. 

Regards Sokrates 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Good outcome and thanks for feedback. As you have finally done, it's simpler to maintain the carrier Modem as the front end and then connect all your additional networking equipment to the Sagemcom - less potential headaches . Allows Optus to do testing of the link, the phone service and auto firmware update without potential issues.  Some people prefer to front end their NBN with their own high end Router and this is where a more complex arrangement is required and a variety of ways that this can be achieved, each with their own peculiarities and level of complexity. 

PS: If you intend to connect video devices onto the Sagemcom that use network streaming services , have a read up on IGMP Snooping,  I understand it aids that functionality and would not expect it to cause an issue if it was pre-assigned as ON as default. All the best.  

Occasional Contributor

Hey mate 

I certainly concur having the Optus router up front is both better for VoIP case in point and balancing load across the network. 

I have the wireless and lan behind the Optus router and I'm getting great speed on both download and upload 95-36 via the NBN FTTC network.

I ordered my 16 port switch to utilise my car 6 setup so happy days for now. My streaming will all be done on the back end.

It's all trial and error I suppose, just happy I finally got it sorted. 

Regards Sokrates 

0 Kudos