Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor Kyp
Occasional Contributor

NBN modem / Optus modem

Good evening all

I hope this finds you well. I have a question regarding the Sagemcom F@ST 3864v3 AC modem. I require this modem to use the house telephone so I use the VOIP port on the back. For the phone to work it must use the WAN port on the modem from the NBN modem.

I much prefer to use my own router for DHCP, DNS etc. I can turn off the DHCP settings on the modem but if I then use lan on the Sagemcom F@ST 3864v3 AC modem I cant get internet access on my linksys modem via a netgear switch even though via wireless the Sagemcom F@ST 3864v3 AC works. I tried using a splitter from the NBN router to use both WAN's on the Sagemcom F@ST 3864v3 AC and my Linksys modem.The NBN router errors and doesnt work properly so that rules that out.

I read on an Optus forum older firware versions allowed you to stipluate the default gateway but the subsequent firmware release have removed this option. This would solve my issue but cant be utilized.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: NBN modem / Optus modem

Not sure if I have understood your configuration plan correctly and if the outcome depicted below is what you are seeking - you could try this setup and see if it works. 

1. Netgear Switch Uplink Port to NBN Modem Lan Port. If no Uplink label, use Port 1 of Netgear.

2. Netgear LAN Port 2 to Sagecom WAN Port, test VoIP service by making and receiving calls. Leave DHCP Server function on default, 192.168.0.1. If Linksys is to be your preferred Wi-Fi Base Station, turn OFF Sagemcom Wi-Fi.

3. Netgear LAN Port 3 to Linksys Router WAN Port but first set it to different IP Address Range - e.g. 192.168.1.1, check SIP ALG is turned OFF in Linksys Router and Restart the Linksys, then connect it to the Netgear Switch. 

This should provide you with two networks, Sagemcom for Phone continuity and LAN ports if required and Linksys for Wi-Fi, LAN and customised Routing setups not possible in Sagemcom. Inter-connectivity between networks is prevented but any device connected to either LAN should be able to access the Internet. For system administration and you would need to be logged into each respective network to change its admin settings, after restarting your PC to get the correct IP address for the network you wish to change the settings for. Hope it works. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hey mate thanks for the heads up, this may very well be the best outcome to approach the situation. I never thought to split the modems into two different networks. 

So you think the 16 port switch would be able to utilise two different networks? This kind of throws me a bit I have been out of I.T now for quite a while.

My network switch is a netgear prosafe FS116, I didn't see an uplink port. Sorry but I feel like a bit of novice on the switch side. The other config you suggested I could easily handle, look forward to your reply.

Regards Sok 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I am not an expert on these matters, but it looks feasible - see diagram https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/switches/FS105v3_FS108v3_FS116.pdf

In early IT days, the Uplink Port had a crossover cable connection for linking to other communications equipment. Newer models now have auto sensing function so that you can use the same straight through cable for uplinks or LAN port. So hopefully all should be good. 

In the Datasheet diagram the Internet modem is shown as connected to LAN Port 1 of the Netgear and the Access Point/Router to another LAN port, so in your case you will have two Routers connected.  The Netgear Switch is acting as a Transparent Link Passthrough for other networks wishing to connect to the Internet modem. Suggest not to connect any PC direct to any unused ports on the Netgear as that would bypass both routers firewalls and other relative settings - use the LAN ports on the Routers. There are other ways of using the Netgear switch but I wasn't sure of your ultimate aims.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Yeah I reckon this is way to go. I will turn off dhcp on the Optus router as long as the Wan is recognised by the modem. The phone worked with dhcp off and plugged directly into the nbn modem but the lan port on the nbn went spastic when I tried another switch. 

This is the challenge I face but I hadn't separated the modem on separate lans. You've given me some food for thought for sure. 

I found it extremely strange that lan port from nbn box went to orange and the speed drastically dropped when it wasn't connected to the wan port. I suppose that was what threw me. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

The orange light on the NBN modem - do you mean the port LED or one of the LEDs on the front of the Modem. When you connect a 10/100 Mbps device or switch port to an Ethernet socket, its LED will be Orange to confirm it is operating at 10/100. If the device or equipment was capable of transmitting at 1000 Mbps (1 GPS) the Port LED will be green. The Netgear FS116 is a 10/100 Mbps Switch, so if it is the port LED, all OK.

Your first paragraph, I am not clear on. If you turn the DHCP off on the Optus Router, you essentially put it into Bridge Mode, meaning the Linksys Router will perform all DHCP functions for any device in your network (singular) - you don't have two separate networks in this set up. In that configuration the Sagemcom Router would be connected to the Linksys Router, LAN to LAN. Hence, my reference in the previous post as to what you were trying to achieve. Suggest you try the two network configuration first and see if all stable.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hey mate, I'm referring to the lan port on the nbn modem. Basically when I tried to split the connection from the nbn modem the led light lan light went from a blue to orange. 

I introduced a switch directly from the nbn modem then onto the Sagemcom modem and the Linksys modem in kind. In this scenario when I tested the speed I went from 95mbs to about 10mbs and the led lan port on the nbn modem went to blinking orange.

I found this to be a very weird outcome, I will give it a whirl come the weekend and let you know the outcome for sure. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Kyp - The Netgear FS116 is an Unmanaged Passthrough Switch and does not have a DHCP server from my reading of the specifications, so although an overkill in terms of size for what you are using it for, it should not present any issues.

However, to simplify matters,  suggest to disregard my last sentence and only create one LAN Network - with some additional programming, this will mean one DHCP Server  controls all devices , which is a more graceful solution from a user and management point of view. In the final stages of connection after the Optus Modem has been registered to the NBN successfully, assign the Optus Modem a Static IP address from within the Linksys Router IP Range prior to its LAN-LAN connection to the Linksys. That should then give you easier access for all devices and you only have to manage one network with the Linksys Router being the only DHCP Server in your network.   

If Linksys Gateway IP address is 192.168.0.1, assign 192.168.0.50 to the Optus Modem.  Some people prefer to customise their DHCP range by defining its variable range to , say 192.168.0.20 - 192168.0.254, and then use the first section, 192.168.0.2-198.162.0.19 for all their Static Addresses. Hoping all works out OK with the simpler configuration. 

Handy general Linksys reference for you in regards to cascading routers - it shows the difference between LAN-LAN and LAN-WAN connections.  https://www.linksys.com/no/support-article?articleNum=132275

There are a variety of ways that multiple routers can be connected in networks, each with their respective nuances mainly determined by what owners are trying to achieve with their specific configurations or their preferences. I have found YouTube to be very informative source of information for different scenarios. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Mate I give it another whirl. The last time time I gave it a whirl I did just that.

I set up the Sagemcom router as 192.168.05 with dhcp off, the Linksys as 192.168.0.3 as a Dhcp server. I had the lan from the nbn into the WAN on the Sagemcom and then used the Lan from the Sagemcom back to the switch. I had internet on the Sagemcom and nothing else.

This is where I fell over, I then tried to split the line from the nbn via another netgear switch I had and got the error I stipulated above with the orange led and slower speeds. 

I really have to spend some time and try multiple solutions. If I could specify a gateway in the Sagemcom router then this would not be an issue but it seems Optus has removed that functionality. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Kyp - just read your previous post regarding orange and blue LEDs. What is the NBN service you have and the modem on premises?

I had assumed you were on NBN HFC using the Arris CM8200B DOCSIS 3.1 Modem - LEDs on the front panel of the Arris can be blue during boot up. On the rear UNI-D1 LAN port, there is an orange and green LED to indicate the speed of the equipment plugged in. If you have this one, the FAQ states what is generally applicable to most comms equipment - Green 1000 Mbps, Orange 10/100 Mbps.

"The UNI-D1 port on the back of the Connection Box has LINK lights to indicate cable connection to a computer or router.
Green: Cable connection detected. If this light is off, try another CAT5e or CAT6 Ethernet cable.
Yellow: Old CAT5 Ethernet cable is in use - this may not allow throughput of the full speed of your NBN™ HFC service."

The Netgear switch , is it a new acquisition or an old used one inherited from previous owner? It should operate at 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps with auto sensing for speed connection. Maybe try a different port on the FS116 and see if any difference in speed test in case the port you were using was somehow asleep locked into 10 Mbps. Not encouraged by the US Netgear response to the same issue  - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Unmanaged-Switches/Netgear-FS116-Switch-not-delivering-necessary-sp....

If newly purchased and no improvement, you may wish to return the Netgear for an exchange to a Switch that uses 1000 Mbps LAN ports. 

0 Kudos