cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NBN landline phone connection problem

JawsJaws - As far as I know Optus installers only do the Modem and back up battrey if you ordered one, anything beyond that is done by a private installer. Make suree you have a design plan before contacting an installer.  As you have 4 points they all have to come back to the modem.  You will need to install a continuos power supply (BACKUP BATTERY) so when the power fails your NBN continues to operate as the NBN unlike the old phome system has no on going power (DO NOT CONNECT ANYTHING ELSE TO THE CONTINUOS POWER SUPPLY).  It is possible to replace the old sockets with a single phone point with 3 other handsets but they will still need power as they continually charge. Old handsets will work on NBN and do not need power connections so long as you have power coming from the modem to power the phone line. I hope this helps been a while since I had mine done.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi, just connected to the NBN recently, hybrid system. Horrible experience. My downstairs phone line is connected to the Modem and works. The NBN technician told me that if I connected the Modem to the phone wall socket that my down stairs phone was originally connected to, then all the other phone sockets in the house would work. However, they don't. I ran the NBN phone line, they said ring Optus. I rang Optus and was advised that the wait time to speak to some one was 60 minutes. I tried Chat and waited 30 minutes. I spent an hour chatting and got nowhere. They insisted that the only way any phone would work was to be  connected to the modem and that I had to get a private contractor to rewire the house to connect other phones to the modem. I insisted on talking to a supervisor and then a manager. I wanted to speak to some one in Australia and this was refused. Eventually, I got onto a manager, 2 hours later. He understood the problem and has organised a technician to come to the house to sort out the phones and has given me $50 credit on my next bill. Alternatively, he said Optus would pay for a private contractor to fix the problem. Stay tuned, I'll let you know what happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

FYI

An Optus technician arrived promptly at 8am this morning, as promised. Lo and behold, 15 minutes later all the phones in the house, upstairs and downstairs are working! No re-wiring of the house.

The technician said it was an easy thing to do and had no idea why I had to spend hours on the phone convincing the Optus Call Centre that it was possible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

There seems to be a very, very bad technical understanding between the support people and the technicians that service our homes.  I assume all of the people that did landline type work have left the technical areas as it is now NBN. WiFi etc. and that Optus training only has a focus on the new.  This can sometimes be a serious mistake because often the old knowledge can make people more comfortable with new technology.  Anyway all fixed.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi jacdwy99, I was having the same exact problem, optus sent me an NBN modem in the mail, after connecting the NBN modem to my router I noticed that the internet on my laptop was working but not on my other portable devices, the phone line was not working either & I could not get into my routers http://192.168.0.1 Settings, I too have a uniden phone so after reading your post I too thought that my uniden phone was not compatible with the NBN modem, I tried everything, I followed all the instructions, I switched cables around, I reset the modem & the router but nothing worked, until I decided to switch the ethernet cable coming from the NBN box to another socket port on the router, on the router I switched the plug from the ethernet port to the Fiber port, after about a minute everything started to work, the internet on my devices worked & even my wireless uniden phone started working, so it wasn't incompatible after all, and this whole time I was considering buying a new phone, I hope this helps others out there having the same issue.

"don't call the cable company, they'll just put you on hold"  jk

This is how my router connections look like:

Optus Router.jpg

0 Kudos