cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor jacdwy99
Occasional Contributor

NBN landline phone connection problem

I just connected to the NBN today and was dismayed to find out that the only way to get the phone to work was to connect it to the modem instead of the phone socket in the wall.  Of course the set-up guide made out that this was a real advantage.  Well. the modum is in another room where I don't want my phone to be, and I don't even have a spare power point for the phone in the vicinity of the computer and modem.  I thought most people would have a problem with this but have not found any posts. 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Contributor Dorsal
Contributor

Re: NBN landline phone connection problem

I also had the problem and had to get a private contractor to re do my phones and alarm.  Optus eventually paid for this as the seller had been advised at the time I ordered the installation.  OPTUS DO NOT PROVIDE LIKE FOR LIKE SERVICE

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that.  I'll contact Optus and see what they say.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Hey @jacdwy99

At point of sale there should have been an option for a professional install - it is usually $140 and this includes a tech coming out and connecting the modem to an outlet so you can then use your existing phone socket instead of plugging your phone into the modem. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Holly, Someone did come out as part of the free service and then I plugged the modem into one existing socket, the phone still being plugged into the original socket.  I don't know what outlet the technician could have plugged the modem into that would make any difference.  Doesn't it have to be plugged into a phone socket?  What else can it be plugged into?

I think I was offered a professional instal but I understood that to mean that the technician would just do what I did and plug the modem in.  There was no mention of the phone not working once that was done if it was not plugged into the modem.

0 Kudos
Contributor Dorsal
Contributor

In my case I advised the point of sale that I needed the alarm and sockets fixed and that I knew there was a cost of 150 dollars as I had researched this back in July 2015 so I knew what was needed - it just did not happen.  I contacted support and was advised no installer would attend and to please plug in the modem to see all was working, once I had installed the modem as requested by support staff they got un-supportive and said I had self installed and could not then provide a tech. Got so bad I went to the Telecommunication Ombudsman to get a resolution. Now all working.   What the sales people fail to understand is that with other sockets in a house  telstra has to be removed from the copper wire connection at the entry point of the house and the line from the modem becomes the house line and alarm line.  On another issue why was no battery backup offerred?  It is optional?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks but I don't quite follow all this.  I live in a high-rise and we have fibre to the basement.

The only sockets available in my unit are the original phone sockets, and the modem is plugged into one of these.

Do you mean that the wiring to one of these would need to be replaced so that I could plug the phone into it?

0 Kudos
Contributor Dorsal
Contributor

Yes - a phone tech needs to reconfigure your lines.  At least that is my understanding as the copper wire receives its pulse and power from the telstra connection.  NBN has no power to the line hence why you need a UPS or battery backup - in case you loose power.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dorsal.  I was getting a lot of conflicting information even as whether someone had to actually come into my unit or whether I would need a new modem.  Seems some of them don't understand the technology.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor jawsjaws
Occasional Contributor

I haven't had the pleasure yet but I believe the situation is (supposedly) that :

you need to pay for tech instal if you have and want to retain a "complex" phone installation eg I have sockets in 4 places.

your phone cabling needs to be modified 

you still need to have a physical phone connection to the modem so you will need a socket close to the modem

the existing external phone wires do need to be cut

Good luck!

IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM (IN LAST 3 MONTHS)?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors