Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Vonz
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN keeps dropping since day 1

Hi,

I'm getting tired of our NBN dropping. Everytime I ring all they ask is to reset the modem. This is an inconvenience.

Every time you reset your modem, you have to reset everything again (eg. wifi password, printer or any peripherals connected to the network)

What is actually the issue with our NBN? I also asked for extra speed when I applied, not sure if I have it in  my account.

I work from home and it's stopped a few times again, and it's just 8am.

Thanks

Vonz

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlexRH
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: NBN keeps dropping since day 1

Hey there @Vonz, we don't want you to be feeling this way about your connection 😞

If you haven't already, would recommend checking out our troubleshooting guide to rule out any basic contributors to the loss of connection.

If this doesn't work, please get in touch with our Faults team so we can take a closer look at what could be causing this. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @Vonz,

Resetting the modem is the standard Optus helpdesk go to in many instances. Often works, but if its not the solution then its not very helpful to keep doing it. Seems for you its not the soultion.

Optus keep a record of dropouts on your line (and the reason) so you should be able to get someone to investigate that. 

What NBN are you on? FTTN? 

When you run a speedtest in off peak you should get roughly the speed you are on (50 or 100 Mbps?) Note that if you are FTTN then in some cases that can have an upper limit for you home. Again Optus can test this and should be able to tell you what the likely max speed you can get is.

Optus can also send out a replacement Modem as a possible test to rule out your device. If it continues then they should arrange to send out a technician to diagnose the line.

If relevent, check that any screw in cables are screwed in tightly.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Vonz
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

Yes FTTN connection, it was done in our area per street. It’s always 20+ dropouts by the time someone answers my call to Optus. I have never experienced it reach more than 40Mbps, now it’s 10.75 Mbps.

When we restart, it works for awhile then I have to ring again when I get sick of the drops, but I can’t sit for a long time all the time waiting 😞

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Vonz

At that number there is definitely a fault in the network (or modem). Optus should be able to review the log of disconnections.

Get Optus to either replace the modem (possible but not likely cause). 

A NBN technician should be called to analyse your line at that frequency.

What speed pack are you on? 50 Mbps?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Vonz
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter, 

I just noticed I have a $10 for Speed Pack 3. Is that a 50mpbs? Keeps dropping again today. Will ring faults number.

0 Kudos
wn
New Contributor
New Contributor

https://isp-monitor.appspot.com/

You guys can use this to see how many times Internet/Wifi drop out/timeout LIVE. I am writing this 3 am in the morning and already counted over 20 drops out in less than 5 mins. 

Switch to IInet, they are way better than Optus in my experience. I was with IInet for 4+ years and I NEVER had any problem. Speed is just as fast. I just switched to Optus 1 week ago, I am wanting to kill myself now for doing that. Now I will have to live with that feeling for the next 24 months unless I win a lottery so that I can terminate my Optus plan. 

Feeling all your pain guys. Kudos to Optus.  

0 Kudos