cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: NBN keeps disconnecting advised ETA 2 to 3 months !!!!

Good question @petergdownload,

Essentially the two issues are entirely separate. The number of FTTN/FTTB customers impacted was calculated to be in excess of 8000+. The ACCC enforceable undertaking specifically relates to speeds that were offered at point of sale but were not theoretically attainable i.e. distance from the node wasn't taken into account.

The issue facing customers on other access technologies is service congestion. This information isn't readily available at point of sale (therefore it's hard to place any onus on the sales consultant themselves.) As far as compensation is concerned, for these customers, we're assessing their individual situation on a case by case basis.

I really can't offer up much more information then what I've advised above. I can say that we do offer similar remedies to those impacted by the ACCC ruling.

I hope that helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

We have FTTN.  Havent had much luck with tech support.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

The issues I'm having in Darwin I'm told are due to congestion. But I'm not talking about speeds a little lower than expected but major drops. For three days I have been trying to download files (mainly from the US) following a HDD failure and I've been getting speeds around 30Kps not 2-5 MBs that I expected to get when I signed up for the NBN - and I have FTP.

Not all downloads are that slow, but few exceed 2MBs and then there are the dropouts.

The other problem is who in OPTUS to write to explain what's happening and what can be done to improve the speed. Phone support is exceptionally hard to get onto and one is just told that the congestion problem is known and being worked on. But, as I've said before, charges for the services remain at the higher rate but are not delivered.

Mike 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @mike_mnd

Downloading from overseas does bring a significant (speed affecting) factor into play.

You're using dropbox or some other cloud storage? These programs are generally set to provide a fast responce for the first few Mb but then throttle considerably if you're talking sustained downloading. They can also have a setting to only use a % of your bandwidth which you should check on.

This restore aside, if you're getting peak hour slow down on FTTP then the issue is congestion. However it could be fixed by Optus tomorrow if they decided they wanted to. Like most of the major ISPs they have purchased about half the necessary bandwidth their customers need throughout the day from the NBN. At this stage if you want a better NBN service then it would pay to shop around (The great thing about the NBN is that every RSP now has access to the same highspeed wires to your home.) Two houses side by side, using the same cable but two different RSPs could experience very different outcomes.

On a 25Mbps plan ($80) Optus have said you should get 3Mbps in off peak and 2Mbps during peak. If you're getting consistently less than that then Optus should be willing to place you onto a month to month plan on request.

On a brighter note, the NBNCo just released two cheaper wholesale plans (the ones Optus buys and then sells to you). These come with the required bandwidth locked at a reasonable rate so RSPs offering the product can't increase profits buy cutting corners on how much bandwidth they sell. They should be available immeadiately. Apparently all existing NBN users will also get a bump in bandwidth before Christmas (industry wide). So fingers cross you might get improved performance soon.

Well done on having the backup  in place. Smiley Happy

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, I have NO idea of what sort of “NBN access technology” has been rolled out in my area.... I’m just an ordinary punter, not a tech head. What I DO know, is that whenever NBN work has been carried out in our area, our internet drops out! I’m actually tired of bashing my head against a brick wall on this issue, and have decided to just go with the flow, see out the contract, then get out of Optus ASAP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You can check your address here

Its a good fact to know as its usually the first thing anyone will ask if you want something fixed.

FTTN is generally the less effective at the moment.

HFC Cable is good but its rollout has been halted for 6 months for the NBN to go back and fix any dodgy installs first.

FTTC is up with the best but not widespread yet.

FTTP is the nirvana.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors