cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor edward-vdm
New Contributor

NBN install failure today

FTTC NBN arrived at our address back in August, we have cable internet with Optus and have done so for over 16 years at this addresss. We only now decided to make the switch to nbn.

It was supposed to be installed at our place today, which didn't happen.

NBN installer showed up early (not a problem) but he had no idea what he was doing.

We have two landline phone numbers at our place and only wanted to keep one of them, but it looks like the incorrect one has been disconnected.

They can only use the phone point to install but he can't as he is NBN. Optus needs to do that.

He also thought he needed to use the old telstra cable?

Not sure what happens now as he left without installing the NBN and we don't know what is happening with our landline phone number.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: NBN install failure today

That is pretty poor, edward-vdm.

If you haven't already, please contact Optus to inform them of the issue to have it fixed or understand what is going on with it.

Let us know how you go.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

NBN can only use the Telstra phone cable as its the one that connects to the pit where the fiber is. 

Did the NBN tech disconnect the phone line, or Optus (I assume both lines were with Optus).

Did the tech do any work at all?

0 Kudos
New Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc We currently have cable, so going from coaxial cable to phone line/DSL connection makes little sense.

The phone line they want to use would be over 30 years old, so I don't understand why they would go from using coax to DSL?

We also have a separate foxtel via coax connection as well (directly with Foxtel), could they use that?

The nbn tech didn't do any work at all.

I have since contacted Optus and the NBN tech has advised them that the install was incomplete due to a network shortfall and requires a reschedule once cleared. They also stated "Lead in cable needs to be installed as there is no LIC present at the property."

The phone connection is working at the moment (the one we want, not the other one that we don't). Both lines have been with Optus for over 20 years.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

We currently have cable, so going from coaxial cable to phone line/DSL connection makes little sense.

NBN have designated you FTTC, so you will be getting NBN via the DSL line, not via cable.

The phone line they want to use would be over 30 years old, so I don't understand why they would go from using coax to DSL?

If you were on telstra cable you may well have ended up with cable NBN, but NBN have decided not to use the optus cable infastructure.

We also have a separate foxtel via coax connection as well (directly with Foxtel), could they use that?

No, as they have designated you FTTC, you get it via DSL.

The nbn tech didn't do any work at all.

So phone disconnections iwould have been done by optus.

I have since contacted Optus and the NBN tech has advised them that the install was incomplete due to a network shortfall and requires a reschedule once cleared. They also stated "Lead in cable needs to be installed as there is no LIC present at the property."

This  implies that either there has never been a telstra phone line at that address, or the telstra phone line that is there (if any) needs to be replaced, which they will do no problem.

The phone connection is working at the moment (the one we want, not the other one that we don't). Both lines have been with Optus for over 20 years.

So the phone lines would have been over the optus hybrid coax/phone cable. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Optus call centre employee phoned to tell me they were looking at the fault.

I told him it was an install but I doubt he had any knowledge of network or connections.

We have a been send an (Optus) Sagemcom gateway it is DSL only!

What other equipment do they supply to connect to NBN.

As they will have to connect cables from the pit in our front lawn I would prefer Cable/Fibre and not phone wire.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

You have no choice, FTTC uses phone line, unless you want to spend many thousands of dollars and wait months paying for a fiber upgrade.

NBN will install the DSL modem and you plug it into the Optus sagemcoms wan port, not its DSL port.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

This is getting ridiculous!

This is what live chat have to say now:

"Sorry for the inconvenience, Your NBN order got stuck due to application error Now you have to place the new order.

However you can use your cable services and for NBN services the sales team will help you to for reordering."

I have an Invoice from Optus for NBN from 21st October to date when I still don't have the NBN.

I am seriously considering going to the Telecommunications Ombudsman as I have some serious complaints to make against Optus.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

That's not great. Did you place a new order?

It shouldn't be an issue to cover the NBN bill.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos