cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor GeeQ
Occasional Contributor

NBN dropout and my frustrations.

I moved here from the U.S. eight months ago to pursue my PhD here as I wanted to also add some new adventures in my life. Initially when I signed up for service only ADSL was available in my area but subsequently (and less than 2 months) NBN was made available to which I switch over immediately, excited that I would get much faster speeds compared to the max (6mb) I was getting on ADSL. I decided on the 50mb plan as I could not justify spending more on the maximum 100mb that’s offered here when back in the U.S. $70 was getting me 1gb speeds on google fiber.

Cannot mention enough what a horrible and daunting experience it’s been since, with the daily dropouts between 10-20 times per day that last about 3-4 minutes (sometimes longer) and the extreme frustration and mental anguish that goes along with that. The speeds are also sporadically reduced to a crawl as well but I can live with that as long as I’m still connected. However, my frustration has turned into resignation as I’ve exhausted myself from all the contacts I’ve had with optus and getting no resolution only endless methods that I’m done with trying. At this point I have no choice but to suck it up until my time here in Australia is completed and I return to the U.S. where I was enjoying 1gb speeds from google fiber without any headaches.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NBN dropout and my frustrations.

Yes I'm with you on that as I could deal with the slower speeds but I would never put up with dropouts. Have you spoken to Optus about it again as the next step might be the TIO.

http://www.tio.com.au/about-us

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

We dont have any insight into what percentage of the NBN population experience dropouts, but I think it's related to corrosion, and accidental line earthing. VDSL seems less tolerant than ADSL. One solution is to move somewhere else. Another is to use 4G, since it's relatively reliable.

Occasional Contributor

@Yeldarb Never heard of this as I’m not from here so I have limited or no knowledge on where to turn, but thank you for the information and I’ll be sure to contact them as I’m absolutely and positively done with contacting optus. Incidentally, while replying to you the service went down again when trying to submit, and I had to type all this over again. That’s the biggest part of my frustrations, forcing me to now write everything in a word document first and then clip and paste so as not to lose my original text. Sadly I forgot to do it on this reply as I haven’t committed this new practice to memory yet. My second biggest peeve is my data not syncing because of the dropout then I get to uni to continue my dissertation only to find that out after. Sometimes it does manage to reconnect and sync on its own, other times not unless I do it manually.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

you don't have to use word. You just copy the text onto clipboard prior to submit. You should get into this habit anyway, because too many websites time out when you write your dissertation.

Occasional Contributor

@10000000000GB I have thought about doing that when my lease is up but to be honest I really would prefer not to since I came here with my wife and 3 kids and that would be quite an undertaking with all the stuff we already acquired so far plus new schools for the kids if it turns out to be too far.. But it’s not completely off the table and I might give it more thought once my lease is up and if I know for sure another area I may want to live in has a better connection.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/data-sim-card?SID=con:mbb:3up:1:jun17:mbb:12...:

In the meantime if you don't want to pull your hair out, you go on one of those month to month mobile data plans, and get a $45 modem from Target. Use the NBN for junk downloading.

Occasional Contributor

@10000000000GB I definitely have to learn the different ways of doing things here since never have I experienced timeout issues back in the U.S. as I’m a very fast typer. There, if the Internet goes out, it’s because of an area wide outage due to some natural disaster or someone sabotaging the network, but in either case it’s very rare. About the mobile internet, I probably will consider that and try to get out of optus 24 months contract since it’s due to poor service. I certainly don’t want to be paying for two services at one time even though I could afford it. I saw there was an unlimited data option for the mobile internet which would more suite my needs since my kids consumes a lot of data as well using Netflix and gaming devices.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The unlimited one goes at 1.5mbs, and it's "by invitation". We don't know about that one for realzes. The 100GB plan has unmetered Netflix, but it's not stated on the website. Kids will still use it all up.

Oh, and Netflix is different in Planet Australia. There are basically no movies you want to watch on it, but good for TV.

Occasional Contributor

@10000000000GB Didn’t know about the unmetered data for Netflix but unfortunately 100mb is not even close to the amount of data we consume, which is closer to 2tb per month. As Americans our society became spoiled over the years with access to many different platforms so along with Netflix and gaming for the kids, there’s a few other I did not mentioned. Amazon prime videos, slingTV and I occasionally rent or buy movie on iTunes for our family nights entertainment on weekends. On top of that, we all have our own iPads so except on family nights, sometimes everyone in the family is looking at something completely different. I was aware that Netflix has a smaller movie catalog here, but I use ExpressVPN to circumvent their restrictions so it’s as if we’re back in the U.S. and we’re able to access the Netflix U.S. movie catalog, Amazon prime movies and slingTV. I’m heavy into politics so I’m a news junkie and primarily gobble down most of my news via CNN, staying abreast with all that’s going on back in the states hoping that we finally get something on trump to bring him down. Anyways, awhile back there was an unlimited mobile broadband option that was being offered online but now I don’t see it, so looks like you’re correct. Maybe if/when the offer it again I will jump on it.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors