Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor drutah
New Contributor

NBN direct to Apple Time Capsule

I currently have my Business NBN connected with Internode (previously with IINet) from the Uni D 1 port direct to my Apple Time capsule that acts as my modem / router.  From there I have my LAN connections.

I was promised by Optus recently that having just transferred my NBN service that I could connect from the Uni D 2 port (Optus port) direct to the Time Capsule rather than using the Optus supplied modem / router and it would function.

I do not want to use the Optus supplied modem / router for two reasons:

1 - My entire network is functioning just perfectly fine on the NBN with an existing NBN supplier and all I want to do is change to Optus as my ISP.

2 - The Optus supplied modem / router prevents my Time Capsule, backup disks and network from being 'seen'. I do not use the wireless or the VOIP function of the connection. I just simply want to plug the NBN in.

How do I do this? Given that 2 other NBN ISP's can do it straight from my Time Capsule when I input the correct usernames and passwords in the set up, surely I can do the same thing with Optus.?

If not, then the Optus connection is totally useless to me and I will need to stay with my current ISP.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor drutah
New Contributor

Re: NBN direct to Apple Time Capsule

Is ANYONE from Optus NBN actually going to at least reply?????!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Hey drutah, sorry for the delay in responding. We do have customers on NBN connecting up their own modems to the required UNI-D port on the NBN NTD. With NBN you  don't need to enter a username/password to authenticate however if you don't use our Optus modem then your Optus landline/VoIP service may not work. We aren't able to provide any technical support for other modems and we haven't tested the Apple Time Capsule on our service. You can try connecting it up and see how you go but if there is ever a line fault then we'd need to do testing using our Optus modem. Alternatively, some customers have had success turning our modem into bridge mode which sends all data straight through. Again, we can't provide any specific support for that configuration but you can do search online for guides or instructions on how to do that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor drutah
New Contributor

That isn't all that helpful I'm afraid.

Of course there is a password and username that has to be supplied by Optus for the modem to connect. This has been set up in the modem supplied by Optus so has to be put into the time capsule along with the appropriate PPPoE address. So what are these?

To say 'we don't support' a piece of hardware is absolutely zero and very poor customer service. Both IINet and Internode who have been my previous NBN ISPs certainly do and are incredibly helpful at getting modems set up for people. Last time Internode support took less than 10 min to get my Time Capsule connected. So why not Optus.?!

I have tried to 'just plug it in' to the port and nothing happens. Without the username and password nothing is going to work.

So I require this information and someone who knows how to do it please, and urgently. This has been going on for 4 months now and I am continually being charged hundreds of dollars each month above the actual cost of the service.. But that's yet another ongoing issue that no matter how many times I call about it, nothing is resolved. 

I'll give it another few days and if no one is going to assist me or reply to this post ASAP, I'll take all of my paperwork into my local Optus store including the past 6 months of accounts requesting disconnection and a refund. Then I'll send all of that information to my local Ombudsman as well. I think I've been pretty patient up until now and cannot afford to continue spending countless hours on hold with no progress.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

For Fibre to the Premises NBN connection there isn't any username/password to enter into the modem to authenticate. That's only required for ADSL connections. We authenticate the connection using the AVC/CVC line settings from NBN which are unique to each connection. You'll need to connect up your own modem using the WAN port directly into the UN-D port which connection has been activated. We don't have training in setting up any other modem/router other than the Optus supplied one and can't provide any support for them. You may need to go through your third-party router and change the authentication settings to PPPoA or DHCP depending on the router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Buddo
Occasional Contributor

This is typical of unhelpful OPTUS. There are a lot of people with Apple Time Capsules and have, are or will experience the same problem, which is only discovered when one signs up for the new NBN Optus Yes (should be NO) service. I have only had my new contract for a couple of days but will be exploring my options to cancel. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Steph_C
RetiredModerator

Sorry you feel this way @Buddo, however we're not able to provide support for hardware outside of our own.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor optarse
Occasional Contributor

I see this was 2 years ago and you have probably left Optus by now! I have had the same problem between my Optus Sagemcom F@st 3864AC NBN modem and the Time Capsule not finding my backup file.

Connecting to the Time Capsule is simple enough. You connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the Wan port of the Time Capsule. Then connect your Time Capsule via Ethernet to the computer, or you can use the Wifi from the  Time Capsule.

If you’re backing up to the Time Capsule with TimeMachine make sure there are no spaces in between Time_Machine and the naming of your Network. There seems to be an issue with losing the Backup when there are spaces in between the words! I have spent the last couple of weeks with Apple Support on the phone and no one told me this! I would assume Optus support would have no idea either! I never had the same problem with my iiNet modem with spaces.

0 Kudos