Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor warcree
New Contributor

NBN data usage

I would like to know my data usgae per month for the last 6 months.

It used to be on the monthly account and now it's difficult to find out.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: NBN data usage

If you have a set limit, we'll show you the amount you've used on your bill. Fixed Broadband usage history is no longer displayed in your My Account. 

We also send data usage alerts to your Optusnet email if you’re approaching your data limit. 

All of our NBN plans come with unlimited data (which has been the case now for several years). As a result, customers don't tend to pay attention to how much data they're using or have used. 

In saying that, if you contact us - we can definitely look up your usage history. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sorry @Dan_C , but just because a plan is unlimited does not mean that there is no need for usage data. And the same goes for unlimited phone plans/call pack addons.

Historical data is very important when it comes to choosing plans/providers. Sure many/most NBN from providers are unlimited, there are definitely still fixed limit plans out there, so not having historical usage data makes it difficult to asses fixed data plans for viability.

And even if we exclude NBN plans, knowing how much data we use used on a fixed line service helps us to determine how much data we might want/need when choosing mobile Internet.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

That’s a good point @YetAnotherAcc. It’s not something I considered in my first response. 

In saying that, The OP was referring specifically to NBN Broadband. If the OP was considering switching to another provider, I think it’s safe to assume that they’d be sticking with NBN.  

I can only name one other provider that gives you the option of selecting a set amount of fixed broadband data, where the cost of your plan changes accordingly.

Unlimited Broadband is the standard industry offering. Of course, there are other alternative such as Wireless Home Broadband, but even so – unlimited home wireless internet is steadily becoming the norm (see Optus 5G Home Broaband). 

Mobile, Mobile Broadband and Optus Wireless Broadband historical data usage can be found in My Account.

Itemised bills which list the number of calls you’ve made, and outgoing text messages are also available to our customers. 

If you need a record of your NBN usage, it’s something that we can give our customers upon their request.   

Note: This is my opinion. This isn’t our official stance on why we’ve removed the option to view your NBN Broadband historical data usage in My account. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

In saying that, The OP was referring specifically to NBN Broadband. If the OP was considering switching to another provider, I think it’s safe to assume that they’d be sticking with NBN.  

Sure that's probably the case in this instance, but it definitely wouldn't be the case in every instance.

I can only name one other provider that gives you the option of selecting a set amount of fixed broadband data, where the cost of your plan changes accordingly.

And I just had a look and found 7: Telstra,Internode,TPG,iinet,Aussie Broadband,dodo,Superloop . While most are for 12mbps service, they are still NBN.

Unlimited Broadband is the standard industry offering. Of course, there are other alternative such as Wireless Home Broadband, but even so – unlimited home wireless internet is steadily becoming the norm (see Optus 5G Home Broaband). 

Sure, but it is not exclusively unlimited though. The industry has already gone through at least one "all unlimited" phase that reverted back to fixed size limits, and with the mess that is NBN's CVC pricing model there can be no certainty that unlimited will be the only offering down the line.

Itemised bills which list the number of calls you’ve made, and outgoing text messages are also available to our customers. 

And I bet they are available with unlimited call plans as well (as they should be). What justification do you have for keeping usage logs for unlimited calls, but not for unlimited data?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors