cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Junski
Occasional Contributor

NBN connection

I got confirmation sms of NBN installation (FTTN) today so i connected the Modem to wall socket but no internet.

- Only DSL light flashing .

- Phone is connected to the modem but no dial tone.

- spoke to support lady after waiting 30min, she confirmed the NBN service is activated so she asked to reset and restart the modem. but no changes

she said she will give me the DIRECT NUMBER (131344 ) where technician can help me and also they are working 24/7.  Rang the number but the NBN technician part closes at 7pm

- found my phone number on the contract form, tried to ring but the phone is not connected.

anyone had similar experience? or solution for this?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN connection

NBN is one half of the equation. 

Next step is adding your modem to the network. 

I believe you'll need to call Optus and ask them activate your modem (need you to provide the model serial number etc.)

Not sure if its 24/7 but do it tomorrow if needed.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter,

But the modem i connected is actually from Optus when i signed this contract , do i still tell them to activate my modem?

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I believe they need to assign your specific modem to their records. This may happen automatically most of the time but perhaps not this time. Either way they should be able to confirm a connection (from their end) or not when you call. 

It may also be a faulty modem.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Still No internet.

2/8  8:40 am : spoke 2 supports, explain same things to each, done same check up ( un-pluging, restarting , different cable )

Unable to solve the issue so gave me Ticket number and 2nd level tech will contact me asap.

2/8   18:00pm : Web chat to check my status.. Again 2nd Level tech will contact me by tomorrow.

3/8    am : Webchat : they can see the request note to call me today, so wait

pm (after 5): again they will update the note, and wait for tomorrow

4/8    pm (after 5):

rang support team and gave the ticket number, again they asked me what's wrong with my NBN. explained - tried something to check - unsuccessful -  passed to next NBN team - again explained my problem - lady tried something to fix. - unable to fix - 2nd level tech will contact me within 24 hours so just wait again.

Coincidently, my friend who lives next suburb applied same plan on same day and got the confirmation msg of activation on same day.

Now he is having exactly same issue, no internet & no phone... Only DSL light is flashing.

He is waiting for the call from 2nd level tech from Friday....

Thinking to cancel the service because everytime we need to call the centre to get the update and on hold for forever, finally explain everything again then they will contact me asap.  😞

0 Kudos
Contributor Berowra
Contributor

Hi @Junski,  You are experience is poor.  If your DSL light is flashing, this indicates that the connection from the NBN node has issues.  This could be caused by one of the following:

1. modem/router faulty
  2. you have something else connected to the phone line, from the lead-in (where it connects in a pit or pillar) and all the way through your premises.
    1. this could be other phones, Foxtel NTU, in-line DSL filter, fax, alarm, etc.
  3. The service may have been configured on the wrong pair
    1. generally premises get at least two copper pair off the street, NBN may have connected to the other pair
  4. pit or pillar tags could be faulty - any recent work may have stuffed it
  5. NBN have not provisioned at the node correctly

For FTTN or FTTB, your modem/router must first get DSL layer working before anything else.  Once you have DSL connectivity, you need connectivity back to Optus' authentication server - then, and only then, you can get internet connectivity.

NBN would have advised Optus that the connection was complete, so Optus would be fighting with NBN to confirm the fault.

It will get resolved, albeit slower than you'd hope.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Also check your cables are screwed in tight.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @Junski, how did you go with this? Has your NBN connection been activated yet?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

@Hannah-L

Technician came to my house and fixed the issue. took 2.5 hours to identify and fix the problem.

I believe my problem was from No 4 of @Berowra

<<  pit or pillar tags could be faulty - any recent work may have stuffed it >>

Anyway all good now 🙂

New Contributor jk20
New Contributor

Looks like this is a common issue. But sadly they are not addressing prior to the incident. I had the similar issue and am waiting for the NBN technician to come again to fix it after spending so many hours with Optus support which is not really a hands on support. I had to roll back and put my cable connection back and working ok. Worst thing was Optus deactivated my optus phone now and waiting for the restoration.

0 Kudos