cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN connection - no lead in cable

Hi, wondering if anyone has a simple answer to this problem

I am renovating an old house which was in the past (say 10 years ago) connected to a phone service via a lead in cable running rom the top of a pole on the verge to a connection point on the house.

During current renovations the lead in cable has been cut. It is no longer connected to the house but the pole on the verge is still there.

Our builder has asked us to make initial inquiries about getting the phone services reconnected - now I assume through NBN.

I would have thought the first step would be to have the lead in cable reconnected/repaired

On the phone I have been bounced back and forth between Optus and Tesltra  - I am yet to even work out what the first step in this process is. Can anyone tell me where to start with getting reconnected to an NBN service when the lead in cable has been damaged and I dont have a current service  for the property?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN connection - no lead in cable

First thing to do is figure out what NBN you are getting and when.

Tell us what it says here

https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks - it says that the property is ready to connect, with fibre to the node

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ok then you will need a copper lead in. 

At this stage I would just get an RSP to organise an NBN connection (stating you have no lead in). They'll send someone out to say whats needed. The install should be free but they'll explain if you need to provide anything. They might just string the cable back up or if you wanted to you could run a conduit pipe (with draw string) from the front of the property back to your house (usually going down the boundary and 30-50cm deep). Ultimately it will be the NBN guy that decides what gets used etc.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos