Searching...

NBN connection debacle. Anyone able to point me in the right direction???

Adzwon

Anyone able to help with this? Dealing with optus support has been a nightmare. Its impossible to get a hold of anyone who can assist. Thought I would post this here out of desperation. Following is a timeline of what I am dealing with. 

• Several months ago I signed up to the Optus NBN deal with 6 months free + instillation and equipment.
  • 15 May – NBN contractor came out and unsuccessfully tried to connect us. He wasn’t overly helpful. He said that he couldn’t find a copper telephone point within the house (I am not sure we have one) and said that he had done his job and the NBN was connected. After I insisted that he check the NBN connection through the Optus router he made a “temporary line connection” from a point at the front of the house but couldn’t get it to work. He blamed the issue on a faulty Optus router and then left.
  • After 15 May – I contacted Optus to explain the situation and they said they were waiting on a report back from NBN and would update me.
    • Since then I have not had an update from anyone on what the status of our NBN instillation is.
  • I have tried contacting Optus numerous times via online chat. Unsuccessfully
  • I have requested a manager call me. Twice I have spoken to a so-called manager and they said they would call me back the next day and I haven’t heard back.
  • 19 June – I received an email from Optus saying “Thanks for staying with Optus. We have your Optus fixed telephone and broadband bundle order, your nbn™ order reference is 74685415A. We'll be delivering your self-install kit soon, if required.”
    • I’ve got no idea what this is about.
  • 20th of June – I submitted an online complaint. Asking for a manager to call me and discuss. I have not heard back.
  • 20th June – I received an email from Optus saying “Good news! Your service is now activated on the nbn™ network. To complete the installation of your Optus modem and nbn™ connection box (if applicable), follow the instructions here.”
    • I am not sure what this means
  • 20th of June – I received an email from Optus saying “Your Optus order is on the way. Keep an eye out for your new self-install kit as it will be delivered to you shortly. Your order reference is 74685415A.”
  • 20th of June – I received a 2nd email from Optus saying “Your Optus order is on the way. Keep an eye out for your new self-install kit as it will be delivered to you shortly. Your order reference is 74685415A
  • On Friday 21st of June I received a delivery of a 2nd NBN connection device + a 2nd Optus router.
  • 22nd of June – I received an email from Optus saying “We have noticed that your Optus nbn™ service still hasn't been activated. If you haven't done so already, all you need to do is connect your Optus modem and nbn™ connection box (if applicable) and you're ready to go. If you do not complete your installation within the next 28 days, this service may be automatically cancelled.
  • 23rd of June – I tested the 2nd router that was sent out and still can’t get an NBN connection.

Re: NBN connection debacle. Anyone able to point me in the right direction???

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Ok, leaving aside the ineptitude of the process and communications (and yes Optus staff seem to often promise to call back and almost never do - so accept when they say this you will need to recall Optus at the time specified. )

What NBN technology are you on? FTTN or FTTC? It probably doesn't matter as both just plug into your home phone port.

The NBN guy (seperate from Optus) seems to have stuffed up. He should be able to confirm an NBN connection through to the phone outlet with his own equipment. The Optus modem may well be faulty but he doesn't need it to do his job.

It is possible the copper wiring in your home has issues (assuming there is any). Possibly multiple outlets or wiring problems in the ceiling etc. It sounds like you haven't used it for some time / ever? Note that Optus and the NBN aren't responsible for wiring once it heads inside your home. You'll need to get a person out at your own expense to look into that (if it is the issue that is) 

The good news is that you seem to have got 95% of the way. You have the equipment needed and the connection has been confirmed ok by NBN and Optus. Your complaints and the NBN process seems to have triggered some duplicate issues but you're hopefully where you need to be to get online today (The only worrying thing is the NBN guy didn't seem to get a successful connect on his attempt, but possibly that got fixed up separately late in a pit in the street).

Note at this point the NBN modem won't work just because you plug it in. It needs to be specifically activated by Optus. To do this you need to

1) Plug in the modem(the latest one you got sent)

2) Note any serial numbers on the modem sticker

3) Call / LiveChat / Facebook Optus (NB Facebook seems where Optus support has migrated to for some reason)

4) They should be able to see your modem on their end and finalise the setup then and there.

If they can't then you can possibly try the other modem (don't mention that until other stuff doesn't work).

Otherwise you will need to request they send a NBN technician to confirm the line. Given the last one left without that confirmation then that seems a good place to start.

You could also seperately get a person in to run / confirm a copper line through your home from the temporary NBN point to where you want your modem to be. For best results it should be a single line with not miltiple branches to other points. 

Peter Gillespie

SillyGogo

That is very frustrating and not the experience you want to have. Because you are dealing with 2 companies and NBN don't usualy play nice. Saying, that Optus could do better with communicatioin and updating you on the progress. The initial NBN tech should of confirmed your connection prior to leaving. However, as they are pay per job, and unfortunately there are few cowboys contractors who is happy to do the easy job and move on than to stay and spend time to resolve your issue.

Did you remember where the tech tested your connected during the installation? If so connect the new modem to that point and see if you have a connection. Sound like you are getting NBN via the phone line. Is there another telephone point in your home? If yes, then try them out. What lights do you get on your modem? Has optus technical support done a line test?

There can be a few issue, NBN account not activated, no physical connection, faulty modem etc. My suggestion is try your modem around the house to chech with phone port is activated if any. Then contact Optus technical support via LiveChat to check if your service is activated and do a line test. Good luck.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Adzwon

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. 

The “technician “ found the old telephone line in at the front of the house (outside) and made up a temporary telephone connection so we could test the line. This is where he determined that there was a issue with the router. It’s the same spot I tested the new router today unsuccessfully. This is the only place I can test the line. 

Adzwon

Thanks for the reply peter. Appreciate it. 

I am trying to connect to fiber to the curb. Yeah we haven’t had a need to use the old copper wire. We had Optus cable internet previously and used mobile phone for everything else. 

Wasnt aware optus needed to now activate through Optus. This step doesn’t appear in their documentation and the NBN “technician“ wasn’t aware of this either. 

So, from what you are saying , once I get solid connection light on the NBN connection device I need to try and contact Optus to activate? I will try that, but given my recent attempts to contact Optus this might be difficult. 

petergdownload

There's two companies with 'taps' on the pipe to your home (NBN and Optus) - both need to turn them on. NBN should usually confirm their's is on seperate of any equipment. After that Optus turn on their 'tap'.  I wouldn't wait for any particular lights at this point. Just contact Optus (and yes that is more difficult then it should be) and they should be able to see your modem from their end. If they can't then they'll need to tell you what they'll do next.

Fingers crossed.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
106 Kudos
39 Kudos
32 Kudos
13 Kudos
12 Kudos