cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor johnnyjh
Occasional Contributor

Re: NBN connected but no Optus internet - how long for activation?

Still no internet after 78 hours and counting. Got this amusing text message this morning:

OPTUS MSG: Hi, we noticed your new broadband hasn't been activated. Simply plug in your Optus NBN modem & you're ready to go! Need help? Call us on 1300 300 427

Modem has been plugged in since NBN switch over at 2pm 9/1/2017. I have restarted it regularly as well to be sure. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Jason_Mann
Occasional Contributor

give it 3 months

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor just_a_customer
Occasional Contributor

I ordered NBN on the 3rd May 2017....still not activated and it is 9th September 2017.

Here is the email I sent directly to Allen Lew (Optus CIO) on the 15th July 2017 no response from him. Optus / NBN tell me the same story every week....hope you don't have the same experience 😞

Hi Allen,

I am writing to complain about the treatment and experience I have received since ordering NBN (that is still not activated some 10 weeks/2+ months since my order).

I ordered NBN on the 3rd May 2017. A NBN engineer attended my property on the 10th May 2017 to install. The installation of cabling was an absolute mess (*cabling was across the windows and not the roofline and I am not joking I have the pictures*). I asked the NBN Engineer why the cabling is a mess, his response was "I am not allowed to use a ladder to fix the cabling to the top because of health and safety rules".

The NBN engineer could not get the NBN connection to work and kept turning the NBN Modem on/off so he could take a photo of the '4 green lights' (when the NBN Modem initially starts-up) to "prove" the NBN connection was working, how absurd and completely unprofessional. The NBN Engineer advised he had to go to another installation and would return later in the day to fix the connection.

Approximately 1 week later the same NBN engineer returned and swapped out the NBN Modem with another one, still he could not get the NBN connected and advised this was an Optus issue and I should take it up with Optus directly. The NBN engineer was asked to re-fix the shoddy cabling. At first he declined citing the same NBN Health and Safety rules. I advised him any injury from such bad cabling installation he would be liable. The NBN Engineer fixed the cabling.

On the 19th June (7 weeks after I initially ordered NBN) I called Optus no one had contacted me and NBN was not connected. I was told my 'case' has been escalated, NBN provided Optus with an update on the 18th June and NBN would be connected in 24-48 hours and I would receive a text message/call-back. No one contacted me, NBN was still not connected.

On the 30th June, I again called Optus this time I spoke to Kim. Kim advised "I will be taking up your issue.  NBN provided Optus with an update on the 29th June and NBN would be connected in 24-48 hours and I would receive a text message/call-back. No one contacted me, NBN was still not connected."

On the 13th July, I again called Optus this time I spoke to Greg. Greg advised "I will be taking up your issue.  NBN provided Optus with an update on the 12th July and NBN would be connected by the end of the day. I would receive a text message/call-back. No one contacted me, NBN was still not connected."

On the 15th July, I again called Optus, this time I spoke to Roy. Roy advised "I will be taking up your issue.  NBN provided Optus with an update on the 14th July. NBN said they are sending out an engineer but cannot provide a date. So I will just have to wait"

So Optus Management, over to you to sort out this mess as I am an Optus Customer and it is your problem to resolve not mine. Reason I have opted for NBN is for faster Internet speeds. At present I am on Optus ADSL and have never had speeds of more that 3Mbps. I have complained about this before numerous times to Optus but have actually given up on keep calling and just accepted the Internet on ADSL is poor so just put up with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since that email Optus have sent an NBN Engineer (mid August) as soon as they entered my home the Engineer checked his phone and said "..I have to go they have put me on another job.." Optus ring me about once a week (because everyday I keep sending a text with the message "FAULT" to a ticket that was raised) and they tell me the same old story "We are waiting on NBN to provide us with an update should be end of the day". Still no NBN some 5 months since I originally ordered it with Optus.

Just_a_Customer
New Contributor armytrucka
New Contributor

I moved into my first home. It had fttp nbn installed. Plugged in the Optus modem and had internet working a treat for a week and a half. Then the nbn box disconnected the uni d1 port on us. Optus said it was because the activation had not been set up properly and we were using the previous owner's Optus account connection. Unbelievable!!! So after a dozen calls and live chats over 5 days we are still waiting to be activated. The sales person in the Optus store told us that we would be right to go as soon as we moved in. They just failed to set up our account properly. What a load of crap.

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

That's definitely not good to hear @armytrucka and we're really sorry it didn't work out the way it should 😞 May I please request you to contact our NBN  connection expert Here from PC so that we can check your order status. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

....ok folks though I would provide an update...

So since I last posted.....NBN, Optus and I play this little game...it goes like this.

I ring Optus and complain my NBN is still not connected. Optus blame NBN and jointly Optus and NBN send me a text message and assign me an 'issue' number. They assure me the issue will be fixed in 24-48 hours.....if the issue is not fixed within this timeframe I have to reply with a text msg 'FAULT'. It really is an enjoyable game to play if you like wasting your time with these jokers.

So I get the first text (screenshots below) Wed 23rd August...I reply back FAULT (twice cos its fun I am only mean't to reply back once anyways), hear nothing back. So I send some more 'FAULT' text msgs on Fri 25th August, hear nothing back, send some more 'FAULT' messages Mon 28th August, hear nothing back. Maybe Optus and NBN are busy playing this game with other Customers and do not have time for me 😞

Oh wait...excitement, Mon 4th Sept Optus sends me a reply 'We're still working on your fault and we will keep you updated'....Oh goody thats nice of them what excellent Customer Service I do hope their Execs get their Christmas bonus this year as they really value the Customer. Wed 6th Sept I reply 'FAULT', and on Fri 8th Sept, still no response and no NBN.

Oh wait...excitement, Mon 11th Sept Optus sends me a reply 'We're still working on your fault and we will keep you updated'....Oh goody thats nice of them what excellent Customer Service it is an absolutely a world class service.

This time I don't reply with a 'FAULT' text, it gets even more exciting....Fri 15th September Optus sends me a reply 'We're still working on your fault and we will keep you updated'....Oh goody thats nice of them what excellent Customer Service. Optus and Usain Bolt and all the marketing about speed etc is so true. I am so glad to be a valued Customer.

Tues 19th Sept, I reply with a text msg, 'FAULT' x 2. Oh wait...excitement, Fri 22nd Sept Optus sends me a reply 'We're still working on your fault and we will keep you updated'....Oh goody thats nice of them what excellent Customer Service it is all the other ISPs have no chance with Optus setting the Customer Service bar this high. I reply 'FAULT' x 2 straight away.

I am bored now. Don't want to play this game anymore.

Mon 25th Sept Optus sends me a reply 'We're still working on your fault and we will keep you updated' blah blah and again on Wed 27th September, then again Sun 8th October 2017.

I get a random call from time to time, I think I have had 2 calls during this time and Optus blames NBN. NBN blames Optus blah blah.

I ordered NBN on the 3rd May 2017....still not activated and it is 11th October 2017.

Crazy...anyone want to play the game?

Thanks for reading....

Just_a_Customer

Screenshot_2017-10-11-14-55-15.pngScreenshot_2017-10-11-14-55-20.pngScreenshot_2017-10-11-14-55-30.pngScreenshot_2017-10-11-14-55-34.pngScreenshot_2017-10-11-14-55-41.png

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @just_a_customer, I'm sorry to hear about this experience. 😞 I've asked that our Case Management team get in touch with you today to provide an update.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi - thanks for replying. Your case management team are the people saying "we are waiting for an update from NBN" on every call they make to me. I don't want someone to phone me to tell me the same message, I just want the NBN connecting and working. Please call me when it is working thanks.

If I am not connected to the NBN soon I will have to consult the TIO (Ombudsman) to see the options available to me. Optus advertise they have NBN working and this is the service I signed up for 5 months ago but it is still not available to me.

Kind regards

Just_a_Customer

0 Kudos
Moderator Casey_

Unfortunately if we are still waiting on NBN, our hands are tied until they provide an update. Our Case Management team are our escalated technical support team so please be assured they would be doing all they can to get your service up and running. We do truly apologise for the inconvenience this has caused. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Hails1987
New Contributor

I just had the same issue!! My internet has been working amazing and so fast all week(my husband set it up) I just had a NBN tech out because they have to ensure everything is set up correctly - blah blah blah. So the tech arrives and tells me we are set up on the previous owners line, he leaves and comes back fiddles around some more and tell me it will work within 3 minutes and just left I now have nothing work, it’s only been about 40mins so no where near the length you have gone to I hope it’s working shortly. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors