Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
dberry
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN compatibility

Is my Sagemcom fast 3864AC NBN OV Modem I'm using for my cable network, compatible with the NBN network for when I sign up.

Optus sent me this and a router to upgrade to but I'm not sure if it's future safe for NBN as I'm still on cable.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: NBN compatibility

I cant find that exact model on their approved NBN modem list,  but as its got NBN in its name I would expect so.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Very likely but it depends on what NBN Technology you will be getting.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address

When does that say the NBN arrived in your area and what technology?

If you are going to stay with Optus on the NBN then you can also get a 'free' new NBN modem with 4G fallback (works when the NBN is down). Quotes because it costs $250 but you don't have to pay that if you stay with Optus for 3 years.

Also note Optus is likely to disconnect your cable soon (they usually only wait 3 months after the NBN arrives in your area.)
dberry
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for replying.

Yes, probably because Optus sent it to me 2 years ago but still compatible, just hasn't any 4G back-up incase something happens.

I haven't got 5G in my area yet but this doesn't offer fixed landlines (for my fathers use).

NBN and the newer 4G technology with the $99 up-front fee sound good enough.

Thanks for helping.

0 Kudos
dberry
New Contributor
New Contributor

Okay, thanks for that.

It started to sound like I had to pay $252 when I was already NBN ready.

The 4G back-up modem will be better tech and for just $99 up-front fee providing I stay connected for 3 years got it, thanks.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@dberry You shouldn't need to pay any startup fee as a long time customer. Tell them you're considering leaving (you can choose any RSP on the NBN) and you'd like it waived - they should waive it almost without prompting.

You didn't say what that link said?
dberry
New Contributor
New Contributor

Your right about the start up fee and I will do that.

The link confirmed I'm NBN ready.

I was also trying to hold off till 5G was available but I live with my Dad and he likes a fixed telephone line so I need to respect that too.

I'll apply for NBN ASAP ($99 fee waived, hopefully)