Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor Tetris
New Contributor

NBN at new address

As we were moving to a new address, we decided to give Optus a go. Checking online, Optus NBN showed as available at new address, we the proceeded with a order for Optus NBN and Fetch TV bundle (26 March 2018). When we moved in on the 29 March 2018, we found the Modem waiting for us at the new address (impressed).

I proceeded with connecting the modem, later that night, with the following results:

1) NBN NTD box green power light on.

2) NBN NDT optical light and UNI-D 1 light flashing (Orange)

3) Optus Wi-Fi Modem Internet flashing green

4) When connecting to the modem via webpage, shows "You are connected to the internet.

5) However no browsing of the web possible.

I then had a Live Chat with Optus (several chats, over several days), and was advised that there is an active connection (from previous tenant), that needs to be disconnected first, before they can activate our connection, and I have to arrange this. I have explained that I do not have the contact details of the tenant. I also explained to them that the previous tenant must have been an Optus customer, as there was a Optus Bill in the Post Box. (This did not help)

Out of frustration I stumbled across this extract from the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman’s website re. “Good Industry Practice”:

When a previous occupant’s service has not been disconnected

The Connect Outstanding Code sets out procedures for providers to arrange connection of a standard telephone service when a previous occupant’s service has not been disconnected.

Rules in the Connect Outstanding Code include:

• all relevant providers should make every effort to avoid a delay between disconnection and reconnection of a standard telephone service
  • the new occupant’s provider must tell the new occupant if there is an existing standard telephone service that has not been disconnected and proof of occupancy is required, including the minimum criteria for the proof of occupancy
  • if there are no objections from another provider, the new occupant’s provider must make sure the new service is connected within eight clear business days of receipt of valid proof of occupancy from the new occupant, or on the new occupant’s requested connection date if that is later
  • wherever practical, providers should endeavour to improve on this timeframe.

Eventually Optus agreed, that if I take a copy of our Tenancy agreement to any Optus Shop, that they would proceed to do the disconnect and reconnect, but I have been given the run around with this as they just tell me to give it 24 to 48 hours’ time, and then again 24 to 48 hours’ time.

When using the “My Optus” app, in the “Track My Order” section, it shows:

Service activation date as 3 April 2018.

Order Status: 3 Apr 2018 00:06         We’ll contact you by 6 Apr 2018 to discuss your order

26 Mar 2018 00:00       Your order is confirmed. We’ll contact you by 29 Mar 2018 to confirm the appointment/s you need.

However no contact from Optus.

Should I refer this to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman?           

0 Kudos
4 Replies
New Contributor Tetris
New Contributor

Re: NBN at new address

I forgot to mention the best part of it all, one of the “Support staff “ suggested that I buy “Optus wireless broadband “ when I mentioned that we need internet urgently, as my daughter is at TAFE , and need to do assignments.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Tetris, the connect outstanding process you've described above is the official process we use in this scenario.

As long as you can provide us with a valid proof of occupancy we can forcibly disconnect the old tenant.

We can only follow this process if the old tenant had also been connected to Optus NBN.

It sounds like you have an NBN FTTP service. The NTD itself has 4 available UNI-D ports, therefore you can technically connect to four different providers at the one time. If port UNI-D1 is used, we'll usually activate the service on Port UNI-D2. Have you given this a shot?

I'm happy to take a look at this one for you. I'll need you to send us a PM with your account details. I'll need your full name, DOB and account number. If you don't have the account number, please attach your order number.

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor Tetris
New Contributor

Just a big thank you to Dan, our NBN is up and running!

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Tetris, awsome to hear!

I'm glad we got there 🙂

If anything else comes up, you know exactly where to find us!

Let's hope it's smooth sailing from here on out. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors