Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
bars
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN affecting landline?

I've received a letter advising that the NBN is coming to my area and that I should contact my provider to find out if this will affect my landline.  I don't have internet to the unit.  Will my landline be affected?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: NBN affecting landline?

Hi there bars,

Did the letter advise how to contact your provider?

We'd suggest contacting Optus directly to receive an official answer specific for situation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
bars
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks. No, the letter didn't advise on how to make contact. I don't know how to live chat. Can I download the app to my computer or do I need to have a mobile phone?
0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

No app necessary, just click on this link to speak with our Live Chat team choosing the NBN -> Sales option 🙂 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yes your landline will be affected. It will be shut down in around 18 months time (so no immediate rush). This is mandatory as the phone lines are being moved over to the new NBN network that is being built.

My first suggestion is find out what NBN technology you will be getting. Check here

After that either contact Optus online as mentioned or you can also just wander into a Optus store at the shopping centre and have a chat. 

Note there are plenty of cheap NBN Phone plans so don't feel you have to get an expensive NBN Internet plan just to keep the phone. Optus currently only offer the more expensive internet plans so perhaps try a few other ISPs to see what they have on offer.

Note are you a senior?

FWIW on the NBN you always get a little data included now. But for an unlimited national calls plan you're probably looking at $40 a month.

Peter Gillespie

bars
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks peterdownoad,

I don't have internet to the home and don't have internet on my mobile phone.  I dont want internet to the unit, which I rent.  Yes, I am a senior whose having great difficulty keeping up with the changing technology.  I'll try an Optus shop if there's one close, or ring Optus, usually a 40 min wait to get answered! 

Appreciate you bothering with what's probably a pretty dumb inquiry.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Well you're asking the right questions at the right time at the right place, so I'd say you're keeping up pretty well. Smiley Wink I asked about the Senior Status for a specific reason. I'll PM you a message seperately - look for the envelope top right.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos