Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN activation with BYO modem

Is there any way to activate my new NBN connection using a BYO modem?  The technician has been to my property and have received advice that the connection is ready to go, however I have not received my modem and Optus can't give me an estimated delivery timeframe

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: NBN activation with BYO modem

Everything I have read indicates that you can't active an Optus NBN service without using one of their supplied Modem/routers, but once its up and running you can switch to a B.Y.O.

Apparently if you use a B.Y.O. to connect the first time it locks up the line and requires you to contact Optus to unlock the line.

I've mostly seen these lock-up comments in relation to FTTN/FTTB, so don't know if lockups are true in general, or only happen because the attempt to connect was with bad setting on the B.Y.O. device.

What type of connection do you have?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: NBN activation with BYO modem

The connection type is FTTN. The strange thing is that I have been advised that the NBN connection is ready to go, however my old ADSL connection is still working which I didn’t think is possible if NBN has been connected with FTTN?
0 Kudos