Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor ashvd97
Occasional Contributor

NBN Wi-Fi 'connected', but no internet! Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864

Hi there,

I'm totally at a loss of what to do here, I had an NBN technician come out and install my NBN connection. He connected the NBN box to my previous ADSL modem (Sagemcom Gateway F@AST 3864) which is NBN compatible , connected it up to all the correct wires and told me to call Optus to activate the service. After a 2 hour long frustrating phone call being told a million different things my internet still does not work. The wi-fi shows as 'connected' and I can connect to it, but the internet does not work. I have tried pulling all cables out, resetting the modems, turning on and off again and even manually changing through 1, 6 and 11 channels to see if that fixed it. Still nothing and I am now a teacher stuck without internet for days waiting for a new NBN box.

The current modem I have is compatible and SHOULD work, so if I can fix it and avoid being stuck with no internet for days I will. Any advice!?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: NBN Wi-Fi 'connected', but no internet! Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864

Hi - I agree with you - one would expect your existing modem to be NBN compatible - what is the full model description. In the two hour call, did Optus confirm that they have indeed transitioned you from ADSL to NBN? They should have been able to connect to your Modem and validate all OK - are they sending you another modem because they think your modem is faulty?  

Was the NBN Box installed by the NBN technician inside your home and have a display like this one (NBN NCD), powered from a wall socket and the cable he connected from your F@ST 3864 came from its WAN port to the NBN NCD - if so, this is a NBN FTTC (Fibre to the Curb) connection. All ADSL line filters should be removed and the phone plugged into the Modem port - if you do this, do you have dial tone? If NBN service connected, the NBN NCD should show all Blue LEDs ON. If not , it would suggest you are still on ADSL.  https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/NBN_FTTC_Connection_Device_Status_Lights

Or was the NBN Box installed by the technician a Black Arris HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coax)  NBN Modem? If so, all LEDS should show Green LEDs ON. Both methods would require connection from the F@ST3864 WAN port.

Not sure which model of F@ST 3864 you have, does it show  a green  @Internet LED ON (white Horizontal) or an Internet & WAN Link ON (Black Vertical if a later model) to validate the link to the NCD is active. When an ADSL service is migrated to a NBN VDSL FTTN/FTTC or a NBN HFC service, it does not require your previous User ID or Password for Authentication - this setting in ADSL is called PPPoE protocol and in NBN connections, it uses IPoE protocol with Dynamic DHCP from Optus, so it needs to be changed within the modem - it may do that automatically when it is commissioned by Optus, Restarted or Factory Reset, not sure.

If all LEDS are not correctly ON for both devices, changing Wi-Fi channels will not connect you to the Internet as it implies the service has not been migrated. When you log into the F@ST, can you connect to the WAN Status page and see what it is showing. Does a LAN cable from a PC to the Modem connect to the Internet?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

@Mkrtich 

Wow, you really know your stuff! I will try to answer as best as possible as I’m not really sure about any of this.

My modem is a white box from September 2017, on the phone they were able to see that my wifi was working and my NBN connection was confirmed but all 5 of the people I spoke to couldn’t understand why the internet wouldn’t connect. They have not mentioned anything about my modem being faulty, they said it should work.

The NBN technician installed a little black box with green lights and connected that to the wall and my ADSL modem via a cable that plugs into ‘fibre’ port in my ADSL modem. On the NBN box all lights are green and steady, on the white modem the DSL and Wifi buttons are green and sometimes flash, everything else is blank. I can find my wifi from my laptop / phone and connect to it but have no internet connection when doing this.

Thanks,

Ashley 😊

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

From your description, the small black NBN Modem, if it is branded Arris 8200B, has a coax cable coming from the wall socket to it. If all LEDs are green with NBN working, to test if so, you can disconnect the cable connecting the F@ST modem and reconnect a PC with a LAN cable directly to the NBN Arris Modem LAN port (it only has one) and you should be able to surf the web. This verifies your service has been activated by NBN. Now we need to verify the Optus Modem. 

Disconnect the PC from the Arris Modem and connect a LAN cable from the WAN port of the F@ST Modem (the red one on the rear right side adjacent to the power cord) to the LAN port of the Arris modem. Disconnect any telephone cable from the F@ST Modem if it is also currently connected - you should only see the Power LED, Fibre LED, the @Internet LED, Phone LED and Wi-Fi LED on when you have successful connection. If Optus has provisioned your NBN HFC service, you should not have the DSL LED on (it is for telephone line NBN FTTN/FTTC connections only) and you should be able to hear dial tone if you have a phone plugged into the Modem's phone port. 

Hoping you get on the Internet OK. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

PS - sorry can't seem to edit the post - I meant to say -  to disconnect any telephone cable that is currently connected to your DSL port on the F@ST Modem. Later to test the phone service, you will need to connect a telephone cable and handset or cordless base station to the Phone port of the Modem. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for your helpful responses, I understand the first part which makes perfect sense.

I disconnected the cable from my ADSL modem keeping it connected to the black ARRIS NBN box and plugged it into my laptop, it still said no internet detected. I tried this twice and it still didn't work 😞

Yesterday when the technician unplugged the ADSL modem from the phone line port I never reconnected anything as we don't actually have / use a home phone, we only use internet. With it being unplugged for 24 hrs, a DSL light still flashing and it not connecting directly to my computer does this mean Optus has not connected my service?

I feel so confused as I spent 2 hrs on the phone and they reassured me it was all connected and my only issue was that I needed the updated NBN modem. What do you recommend my next step is from here / to say to Optus?

You seem to know and understand a lot more than they do!!

Again, thank you so much for your help.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Yes, it is somewhat confusing. When you connected the PC to the NBN Arris Modem, was it from a cold PC start or was the PC on and previously connected to the F@ST Modem either wired or wirelessly. If it was previously connected to the F@ST Modem , can you remove it from the F@ST Modem, restart the PC, then connect it with a cable to the NBN Arris modem - both modems use different DHCP Server IP Addresses and your PC may have had the one allocated to it from the F@ST Modem still in it - that may explain why it did not connect successfully to the Arris Modem. Make sure your PC Ethernet LAN Adapter is enabled and not its wireless adapter. If Optus has advised you the NBN is enabled, you should be able to connect to the Arris LAN port with a PC and cable.

To test if ADSL is still active at your home, can you first disconnect the F@ST Modem from the NBN Arris Modem, plug a telephone cable into the DSL port of your F@ST Modem and connect it to your telephone wall outlet. I think the reason the DSL LED is flashing is that is how the software was configured for your previous ADSL link.

If your ADSK Link has been disconnected or not, there is no harm in doing a Factory Reset on the F@ST Modem to clear out all settings and then connecting it back afresh to the NBN Arris Modem via the WAN to LAN port cable connection. Remember to restart your PC again before connecting it to the F@ST Modem to get a fresh IP address from it.

You will either be connected to the Internet or be armed with viable information to relay to Optus help desk tomorrow. I am hoping the former.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

In case you haven't done it before, there should be either a Reset button on the rear panel or a small hole with Reset branded above it. If the later, place a paper clip into the hole whilst the modem is powered on for at least 5 seconds or so and the modem will auto turn off then turn itself on back to original factory settings. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

If you still have no Internet from the F@ST3864, suggest you contact Optus and have them send you a new Optus Modem F@ST 5366TN - I think it is part of your NBN Contract that they give you a suitable modem for connection. 

Not sure if the blinking DSL LED is of any consequence or not and if that is preventing you from connecting the F@ST 3864 WAN port to the NBN Arris Modem.

I have two F@ST 3864 modems that I have acquired this year for testing as secondary modems connected to a primary modem. One is the F@ST3864V3AC - its DSL LED blinks all the time and the other is F@ST3864V3HP - no DSL LED blinking. I have tried to stop the DSL LED from blinking on the V3 AC model by blanking out the john_citizen@optus.net.au and default password and Untick the Optus Connected box, that didn't work as it demanded an Optus Email address. I then Reset the Modem with a paperclip, that didn't stop the LED blinking. I then did a Factory Restore from within the Modem's Menus - Basic Menu/Advanced Setting/Management/Settings/Restore Default - that didn't stop the DSL LED from blinking.

I know the V3AC model came from an ADSL site and maybe why its DSL LED is stuck on blinking and perhaps the V3HP came from HFC site. Not sure if Optus has hard coded the modems in the past for different deployments. The current F@ST 5366TN model should work on your NBN HFC connection.   

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again for your suggestions. Have tried everything. New modem arrived today, plugged it in, restarted twice and reset - phoned tech support who couldn't detect the modem or help so again I'm now waiting for tomorrow for my 'case manager' to contact me. 

Feeling so frustrated!! I don't have time for a technician to come out but am thinking that is what is needed here. 

0 Kudos