Searching...
Highlighted

NBN Strathfield NSW 2135 Slow 23/12/16

oceans

Hello, I had noticed the NBN was slower from the 23/12/16. Called Optus and they said that NBN was doing maintenance but they have no estimation for the length of time that my area. Is there anyway that Optus can communicate with NBN so that it can be posted on their network Status Page

Currently on my computer on connected by cable I'm getting max around 75 Mbps but the speed test graph shows a lot of peaks and troughs. Gets considerably worse during the peak hour. 

I had issues with Optus in the past which seemed to get better and then episodes of getting worse as this is an area of congestion. 

I am meant to get an SMS that tells me that the congestion is fixed and yet to receive one so I assume that the congestion is not completely resolved even though I would say 80% of the time speeds are fine in peak hour.

As a tip I would recommend customers to call tech support if they experience low speeds as they will pay anywhere between $10-40 dollars back on the bill. I'm just waiting to see how long this will take. 

I had previous issues whe 

Re: NBN Strathfield NSW 2135 Slow 23/12/16

oceans

Just an update called Optus NBN tech support Ticket number 151937120541 

They now have moved on from saying NBN is doing maintenance to say that there is congestion. 

Getting around 17 Mbps for downloads at the moment.

This seems like an on going issue since January 2016 with no estimated time of being fixed

Dan_C

Hey @oceans, thanks for keeping us updated. It's disappointing to hear that your issue extends all the way back the beginning of the year. I can definitely understand the unwillingness to pay for a service that isn't running up to par. Our fault team do compile a record of customers who have reported speed issues in the area. This is then passed along to our network team to assess whether or not an upgrade is necessary. The holiday season would likely be impacting the quality of the service further due available bandwidth being shared amongst more users at the same time. If we can see that you've contacted us on a number of occasions in regards to the issue, we can always assess what we'd be willing to do for you here. Are you able to send through a PM with your account details? We'd need your full name, DOB and account number. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

oceans

Thanks sent you a PM of my details.

Interestingly enough Optus Technical Support were not able to tell me if changing to a different RSP. I get different responses that either it's Optus having congestion, the NBN network in general is having congetsion or NBN is fixing the problem and there is a team right now on the case. My tech support person  suggested that Sales Department would know more about the "Technical" aspect of this issue. They said there was no phone queue. This was of course going to be the case at 23:00 AEST so they transferred me to sales which then I got hung up because Sales is closed

Another issue I have is that I use my home line to call technical support and part of the technical support they go through the routine of resetting the modem/connection which of course I am then cut off from the phone conversation. WOuld be nice if they would call me back instead me dialing HelpDesk again. Optus has my mobile number as well.

oceans

Thanks sent you a PM of my details.

Interestingly enough Optus Technical Support were not able to tell me if changing to a different RSP. I get different responses that either it's Optus having congestion, the NBN network in general is having congetsion or NBN is fixing the problem and there is a team right now on the case. My tech support person  suggested that Sales Department would know more about the "Technical" aspect of this issue. They said there was no phone queue. This was of course going to be the case at 23:00 AEST so they transferred me to sales which then I got hung up because Sales is closed

Another issue I have is that I use my home line to call technical support and part of the technical support they go through the routine of resetting the modem/connection which of course I am then cut off from the phone conversation. WOuld be nice if they would call me back instead me dialing HelpDesk again. Optus has my mobile number as well.

Nghi

Thanks for that. I've replied to your private message.

Generally speaking we can't comment on what your experience would be on any other RSP. You'd need to speak with them directly and discuss.

[ Edited ]
oceans
  1. I have spoken to other RSPs and they would like know about the 'backhaul' provider  of the Optus NBN service for my area. Not sure what that specifically means and the Optus Technical Support said that the sales department are the best peoeple to provide this techcnical advice

2. Would I be able to get out of contract without paying an early exit fee since I have had congestion for 12 months?  I think this should be acceptable as a 20 years optus customer who has shown good faith to wait for Optus to fix congestion

3. Do I need to call every month to gain some credit back? 

oceans

Just for the people following the thread this is the email responnse I receive from Nghi on personal message. Upgrades does not seem to be have performed or performed fast enough in the last  12 months. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We've checked with our Network team and your area is definitely impacted by slows in the evenings/peak hours. An upgrade will need to be undertaken to increase the capacity in your area before speeds will improve.

At this stage, a time-frame hasn't been provided when further upgrades are expected to be completed Smiley Sad

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nghi

Hey oceans, I've also replied to your private message.

1. Optus has it's own backhaul from a lot of the POI (Points of Interconnect) though in some remote or new areas we may use another provider for backhaul. This is commercially sensitive information though and we wouldn't be able to disclose it. What would be more important for other RSP is if their backhaul provider had enough bandwidth from your POI. That's something only they can know.

2. You can speak with our Retention/Cancellations team on 1300555241 to discuss options on your current plan/contract. We'd obviously want you to stay but if we aren't able to provide the speeds/service you require then it is time to think about other options.

3. Credits and adjustments are assessed on a case by case basis and you'd need to discuss with our NBN Billing team on 1300300427 or over chat here

oceans

Just an update. Initially some of the congestion was explained to me as being related to school holidays and more people using the internet.

School started for a week or two now and congestion still present

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
101 Kudos
63 Kudos
26 Kudos
23 Kudos
18 Kudos