Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
RobAnybody
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN Speed

Well, after a lot of complaining to Optus about only getting 5.6Mb down and 0.78 Up, and being told there is nothing they can do about it, it is due to "congestion" they agreed to refund my 100Mb speed boost.  I said I thought I was fibre to the home, so why did they connect to the phone line, but they said no, only fibre to the node is available.

Well, last night, a mate called round who is heavily into networks, and he brought his test gear with him. The first thing he found was that the cable had been terminated incorrectly, so he fixed that. Then he tested, and said I had 90m of very messy cable between the termination point and the street. So we set to and traced through where the line actually went (I'm in a rental, not my house, so I didn't know any of the history of the wiring. We found it ran through a filter, into an old defunct alarm system, then up into the roof space, into another hills distribution box, then across to the otherside of the roofspace where it was connected to the actual phone cable by a very old, very dirty, bakelite junction box. 

So we snipped the phone line at that point and plugged it directly into the modem, bypassing all the 50-year old wiring in the house, and bingo. I now get 45.6Mb down, 19.23 up. 🙂

Then casting the torch around the roofspace, I spied this really neat coil of cable hanging from a rafter.

On closer inspection, we found that it is NBN Fibre...

So the cowboys that they sent to do my install connected me to the phone line when there is fibre sitting up there waiting to be used...

I'll probably get beat up by Optus/Telstra for messing with their phone lines now.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN Speed

If your speeds were steadily bad then its not congestion (which means speed drops in peak hour).

Your case sounds like a text book example of ISPs main problem, which is that the network issues are all in the customers household, not the Optus network. So now you've "cleaned house" seems like the network is running much better.

I'm curious on your fibre discovery. The NBN isn't rolled out on a house by house basis. A team gets assigned to a suburb sized area and installs a tech (fttn, fibre, cable, etc.). Give the NBN a call directly and ask what tech your address has been assigned.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Berowra
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @RobAnybody

I understand that NBN owns the fibre/copper/co-ax/whatever up to the first connection point into the tenancy.  Once you are on NBN, Telstra and Optus have no ownership into the tenancy.  The building owner is responsible for any reticulation past the first connection point.

Also, I understand that NBN do not mix technologies into a tenancy.  NBN decide what technology is used for each tenancy, so the NBN fibre that you found in your cavity may have been for another tenancy in the same building or may have been installed in readiness for NBN.

The good news is that you have found an extra 40-odd Mbps by cleaning up your in-building copper run.

0 Kudos
RobAnybody
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter

I agree, I was getting the same slow speed at any time of day or night, which told me it was nothing to do with congestion, but a problem with the equipment or line somewhere. Unfortunately, the people on the Optus tech support line are working to a script, and if your problem isn't on their script (turn it off and on again) they can do nothing. Which is why I asked my friend to come round.
His comment was there was no way the NBN installer should have left me with the obvious problems on the line, and should have taken the trouble to do some further investigation, as we did.  So I think the blame lies with the NBN installers, not the dodgy wiring in old homes - if they were doing their job properly they should have either fixed the problem by going straight to the incoming phone line, which we did, or at least told me to get someone in to fix the wiring.  Not pass me off to Optus who then tell me it is congestion.  Not everyone has the technical resources to fix it for themselves.
The obvious problem is that the installers are paid a flat rate per install, and therefore try to get in and out as quickly as possible, and couldn't care less about the quality of the job.

As to the fibre, well, I'm in Tassie, so I had expected to be one of the lucky ones with fibre, and when we went outside and looked to see where the fibre comes in to the house, walking down the street we confirmed that everyone in the street has it.

I'll take your suggestion of talking to NBN directly and see where that leads.

Thanks
Rob

0 Kudos
RobAnybody
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Yes, I understand all that, but I signed up with Optus, and they they deal with NBN.
If I have to then take over and deal with NBN directly, what am I paying Optus for?

And this is a private house, no other tenancies, so it appears that the fibre was put in quite a while ago, but the NBN installers were either not aware of it, or are now instructed to only connect via the phone line.

I just feel sorry for all those people paying for "speed boost" options who probably aren't even aware that they are only getting a fraction of what they are paying for. The majority of the population just wouldn't have the wherewithall to identify the problem, much less fix it themselves.

Rob

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@RobAnybody

Tassie? I was under the impression the entire state had ben fibred? They wouldn't be putting a few people on non fibre now as they just have to keep the entire  copper network going for 1% of the population. Be interested what NBNCo say. Actually reading here it seems its quite possible you had fibre rolled up to your house and then ended up with FTTN. But if your neighbors are on fibre presumably you are too?

As for the install, I disagree that NBNCo should be responsible for in house wiring. On a practical level can you imagine how involved installs could get as contractors try to track through roofs, ducts, etc. NBNCo's job (IMO) is to get 100Mbps to your front door. If you don't have the equipment or setup to use all of that then that's on the owner to upgrade (if they want). That said, I'm very tech savy and I have issues sorting through this stuff - I can't imaging how hard it is for less tech savy (although most of them seem to befriend someone like me as a modern day survival mechanisism) Smiley Happy

I do agree though that contractors are under huge time constraints and quite often fail to get even the 100Mbps to the front door confirmed. They often arrive, wire the panel and leave without proper testing. Not sure what we can do about that (other than request they come back).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos