Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor Blueshoes53
New Contributor

NBN Speed & Offer to Reduce packag

I received an email saying as my NBN speed is lower than my plan I can do the following:-

I tried contacting and get told the service is currently unavailable so I cannot nominate an option.  I want to know what speed I would be offered if I take option 1.  I do not want to reduce if I am going to get less speed.  I actually only get 32Mb average download even on times that are not peak (before 7pm)  I cannot seem to get through.

How can I get a written answer to what speed I can expect if I take Option 1 below?

Please can someone help?

Option 1: You can move to a different plan and receive a refund

You can choose to switch to a different Optus plan based on your needs and the maximum speeds shown above which speed test data indicates you can receive. Please contact us to discuss your options, you can find details of our NBN plans online.

We will also give you a refund of $10.

Option 2: You can choose to exit your contract and receive a refund

You can choose to exit your Optus contract without cost. We will not charge you any early termination charges and you will also receive a refund. Contact us to find out the refund amount you are eligible for.

Option 3: You can remain on your current plan

If you're happy with your service, you can choose to remain on your $90 plan with no refund.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN Speed & Offer to Reduce packag

Hi,

You've received a ACCC mandated notification because Optus is charging you for a service it can't actually provide. In this situation they have to give you these options. First thing to note is that there's no immediate rush. You have internet and that will stay as is as you sort this out.

Second you have joined about 40% of the nation that has go FTTN NBN. This technology is dodgy and can provide between 12 Mbps and 80 Mbps but households don't know until they connect. Unfortunately yours maxes out at 32 Mbps. On the plus side this might be all you need at the moment. You can stream HD Netflix and surf the internet with 32 Mbps.

Currently you're contracted with Optus who need to supply around 40Mbps most of the time but they can't because you are on FTTN. Usually you would have the option to drop down to then next level (25 Mbps) but Optus don't offer this speed as an option. So you now have the following choices

1) Keep things as they are. You'll continue to get 32Mbps max and pay for a 40Mbps connection ($90)

2) Drop to a lower plan (trick option because there is no lower plan) which leaves you option 3

3) Leave. You will be refunded the money you have paid to Optus ($90 per month) and can leave without penalty.

So your real choice is either stay (same deal) or leave (full refund)
Highlighted
New Contributor Blueshoes53
New Contributor

Thank you for the explanation. Seems to me to be a very empty set of options to offer. I think this is a way for Optus to negate their obligations under the contract. Because they don’t offer a lower speeds then the $10 was an empty offer. When I signed up I was quoted NBN 50Mb with 2 x mobile and fetch tv for $167 per month. I was having issues with iiNet paying $171 per month so the sales person assured me I would be better speeds and service with Optus for less. Turns out that the sales person did to provide the account at $167 as I am now being told that I have to pay $10 for fetch and other items taking me over the $171 I was paying with iiNet. This was totally a false promise by Optus. I complained and they said they would arrange a $10 reduction. This is now their offer but I cannot take it up. I originally closed my case I had open with the ombudsman but now I am going to complain again. I cannot get out of Optus what my final monthly bill will be - they do to seem to want to answer this. To me this is bordering on being very misleading. I am going to decide whether I stay with Optus or move to another vendor as I have lots in place to do this very efficiently now.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

This notice is separate to anything else that is going on between you and Optus. Its because the NBN connection to your home can't do more than 32 Mbps and its illegal for Optus to charge you for faster speeds than that when they can't provide them (unless you explicitly agree).

I suggest you separate out your 2xMobile and Internet when deciding on prices etc. its difficult to compare options and prices with a single bundle of services (which is generally why companies offer bundles)

The FetchTV offered by Optus is a lease box only (you never own it). Personally I suggest getting a refurbished FetchTV on eBay from Fetch themselves (under no circumstances buy a private second hand unit - they're scams)

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/28031264040

At this stage I'm not sure what you expect the TIO (ombudsman) to do for you? You currently have a straight forward choice to make  - Leave with full refund or Stay as is (with a $10 discount) are available to you.

0 Kudos