cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor MikeD
Occasional Contributor

NBN Slow again

So I'm typing this after another unsuccessful attempt to connect with someone on live chat. When I first connected to Optus NBN, the connection was woefull (less than 1Mbs). After a couple of months, they finally picked up their act and gave good strong speeds. On a 25Mbs plan, rarely did I see less than 22Mbs.
However, now I have noticed that lately it struggles to get over 15Mbs. While completing a test, the speed will not level off to a consistent speed but will jump around between 5-16Mbs. I was watching netflix the other day (in SD) and it took a couple of minutes for the pixilation to smooth out. I don't like to watch you tube in HD because having to wait for buffering halfway through a video can be pretty annoying. I've tried restarting the modem several times and resetting it. Nothing seems to improve it in any way and it seems to be just as bad at any time of the day.
There is a few things I was wondering. Does Optus actually monitor speeds? As more people connect to NBN and choose Optus, do they constantly re-evaluate their purchased bandwidth with NBN to ensure a strong consistent connection? Will they for the sake of saving money, push peoples patience and loyalty by either waiting for people to complain enough (or enough people to complain) before they do something about poor speeds or connection? Will they also push peoples patience and loyalty by reducing purchased bandwidth to also save money? Is my only option to just put up with it until the end of my contract where I can find a provider with more consistent speeds?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: NBN Slow again

Hey @MikeD, thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry that you've had such a tough time getting a hold of an agent over chat.

For customers on speed pack 2, we advise of typical peak time speeds of 20Mbps.

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/nbn-speed-packs

Does Optus actually monitor speeds? As more people connect to NBN and choose Optus, do they constantly re-evaluate their purchased bandwidth with NBN to ensure a strong consistent connection?

We sure do, we have a congestion data base on our end. Each time we receive a slow speed enquiry, the first thing we do is run their service through our congestion registry.

This information is used to determine areas in need of capacity upgrades and a measure of overall Network quality/perform in each CSA (customer servicing area).

NBN did reduce the wholesale cost capacity earlier in the year, this has led to an overall increase in the capacity purchased by RSP's including Optus.

You're welcome to PM us with your account details. I'm happy to run a few checks on the service.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors