Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
FsH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN Sagemcom F@ST 3864AC modem - new settings password not working

I have just had NBN installed today and switched over from ADSL.

Of course this means a new modem (!) which I am trying to set up more securely.

First off,  I want to implement a password to logon to the modem if you want to change settings.

The initial settings is no password. I then selected "secure profile" and input the old password (optus) and entered my new password twice.  I got the message back password successfully changed.  Now when I got to 192.168.0.1 it wants to authenticate my access (as you would expect).  But when I enter the user name 'optus' (there did not seem to be any way to change this) and my new password, it denies access.  The 'old' password 'optus' does not work either.  I've tried hitting the reset button and doing it all again, with the same result.

What gives? 

Does it not like the new password but doesnt tell you? (I've used letters, numbers and special characters).

Does it just not give you any access once you go 'secure'??

Did it change the username - to what?

Any help from someone who has successfully done this would be appreciated.  I cant move to 'step 2' and do the other changes I like (hide SSID, change IPs etc) till I get this password thing sorted.

regards

Fiona

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: NBN Sagemcom F@ST 3864AC modem - new settings password not working

do a hard reset by pressing on the reset button for 10 second. Login and change the password, this time try something at least 8 character with a mix of letters and number. 

Also, it could be the cookie from your browser, when you login the first time, do not select brower to save the password. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
newline
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Have you contacted Optus' technical support (131344)?

Don't hide your SSID https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths-is-hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secur....

0 Kudos
FsH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks but is now resolved.

I think the issue was the use of 'special characters' in the password.  I eliminated those and I can now login.

In fact - I CANT LOG OUT...???? how do you log out of the darn thing.  No 'log out' menu option that I can find.....

0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

thank you for the update. close the browser completely logs you out. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
FsH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Not So.

I have checked the Chrome password settings -   My modems IP is set to 'NEVER SAVED'. 

Yet when I open a brand new browser, go to the IP I'm already logged in!  So i'm thinking it is not logging me out.

0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Will test out with chrome when I get home. Tested with Firefox and it asked me for a password everytime. Have you close every chrome windows when  you exit or just the sagem page?

0 Kudos
FsH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks SillyGogo - you could be right.  I have a tendency to have multiple sets of windows open for different things and may have had one still open.  I've thoroughly checked all closed, and yes, now I have to log back in to get into the modem.

Phew.  Will need to remember to do that properly in future.

Thank you.

0 Kudos