cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor yewhoongng
Occasional Contributor

NBN Plans

Hi, i've just received mail regarding NBN in my area, offering 2 NBN plans. $60/month is the Basic Evening speed package, which i believe is up to 12Mbps. But i'm currently paying $60/month for Optus Cable 30Mbps. Would i be getting less than half the speed for the same price once NBN begins in my area? That cannot be fair.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN Plans

The NBN is a major shake up for the entire industry. Both customers and telcos are changing to adapt. 50 billion is being spent on the upgrade and that will mean prices are a bit higher in some cases. 

Additionally as one of the lucky Australians that have access to 30 or 100 Mbps plans, the NBN is about giving similar speeds to the other 80% of the population.

On the plus side you now get access to much higher upload speeds. You also can now choose any RSP you want and not just Optus or Telstra for 30 Mbps.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor yewhoongng
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter. Would this unexpected speed "downgrade" allow me to exit my contract early without fees?

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

You can check the terms and conditions for network upgrades in the CIS for your current plan. These are available online here → Optus Critical Information Summaries

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@yewhoongng

Its often suggested otherwise but yes, when the switch to the NBN occurs for you you can generally leave Optus without penalty. This is because it will be Optus that is breaking the contract and not you. Once your area goes live, Optus will give you 3 months to move to the NBN before they shut off your service (you'll get a letter). However Optus can't force you to sign a new contract so you can go your seperate ways on request at that point. Note this usually only applies to Optus HFC users as that's the only one being shut down almost as soon as the NBN arrives instead of after 18 months.

I would very much recommend picking an RSP with a month to month plan (maybe Optus will provide that) as once on the NBN you can swith to any new RSP with just a phone call.

I would also not recommend the basic NBN plan for any provider - it really shouldn't have been sold in the first place but all Telcos found it was the only way to match pre-NBN pricing and not scare customers off with a price hike (unlike you, most people seem to have concentrated on the UNLIMITED bit of the plan and not the more importand SPEED)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS The whole NBN HFC cable rollout is currently on pause so it may still be some time until the NBN arrives for you, unless you are getting a different NBN technology (have you checked on the NBN address checker website?)

0 Kudos