Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Re: NBN Plan compensation

@corbsp, it's important to note the following:

If you've signed up to an FTTN service and we've included a speed package of which the speed itself is unattainable, then you will be contacted.

If we've given you a lower tier speed pack which aligns with the maximum attainable speed at your address, you will not be contacted.

For those that are impacted by Network congestion, it's an entirely separate issue. These enquiries are dealt with on a case by case basis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
corbsp
Contributor
Contributor

Not quite sure what that reply from the Moderator actually means in plain english. I have been on a fttn plan for over 12 months and my speed package 25/5 has never been attained. Will admit that speeds are generally not too bad these days but as i said before, optus have never complied with the contract terms that i signed up for. When i signed up the contract did not say "up to 25/5". Close enough is not good enough and if it was me not quite complying optus would say thats ok. Sure they would. Please don't  treat us all like idiots.

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

That's not my intention. It's not a simple issue and it's hard to communicate without the use of jargon.

I'll try and give you an example.

The customer signs up to an FTTN (fibre to the node) service and they're sold a plan with a 100Mbps speed pack.

If we complete a check and find out the service itself is only capable of reaching speeds of say 50Mbps, then you'll be contacted as per the process we've aligned above. That'll mean that you've been paying extra for a speed pack, that due to Network limitations cannot be provided.

If you've signed up to a 25Mbps speed plan and the service itself can reach speeds of up to 100Mbps (given you have the correct speed pack), then your case doesn't fall under the ACCC ruling.

If you've signed up to 25Mbps speed pack and the service itself can reach speeds of up to 100Mbps, but due to Network capacity you're unable to reach said speeds, then this is a separate issue.

I hope that makes a bit of sense.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Mitch1
New Contributor
New Contributor

I received a letter from Optus regarding this compensation under thier 'customer service guarentee'  issue that Optus has supposedly committed to. we were told in 2015 that we had to change our existing adsl account to NBN by a particular date as they were making the copper network obsolete by the end of the year. we were given no option but to sign up and were convinced into the optional speed boost. speeds that were never achieved and which became progressively worse (worse than the adsl we were previously on) as more and more people signed up.

when querying this with optus, we were informed 'they did not expect so many people to sign up and they needed to upgrade the service' this is despite their letters telling us we had to change. we moved in april 2017. NBN was not available so we are now back to cable.

I called Optus today, I was informed that only people whose connection was interrupted were entitled to compensation and our connection was not interrupted. so basically compensation for speeds promised under the customer service guarentee and not delivered is actually a swizz. Optus are apparently NOT compensating for speeds not delivered, only for interruption to the service changeover as per my phonecall today on the 1800 212 545 number provided in your apology letter. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Mitch1,

Was the letter offering compensation or just a generic one about the ACCC moves? My understanding is the letter should have spelled out the various options you would have (in general a refund for the speed difference which would usually be around $10 or $20 each month of the plan)

There is only one mandated compensation type by the ACCC as @Dan_C has mentioned. Essentially if your FTTN line was physically unable to provide the speeds contracted for. There are other reasons you might not get the maximum speed that are not covered by this ruling. Also in general "close to" the advertised speed is considered acceptable.

Not sure on your migration issues. Optus have been very aggresive (and sometimes misleading) in the information they provided to migrating customers. Its unclear whether you we're at the end of the 18 month grace period after the NBN goes lives. In this case yes you had no option but to either resign with Optus, resign with someone else or not have the internet. You don't have to resign with Optus in this case as it is Optus breaking the contact - however Optus employees don't mention this much.

I'm not sure what the interruption bit is about. That might be about normal compensation procedures where the Internet is down for extended times. But as mentioned, just having slower speeds sometimes is not normally compensated - I would suggest looking around as their are other ISPs that have a very good reputation for meeting the speeds they advertise.

You could get Optus to test you line to see what the max theoretical line speed is for you.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

SamLK
New Contributor
New Contributor

Received the compensation email today, it only talks of $20 (does not indicate if this is per month for each month being on the NBN plan that we were not receiving the speeds for). I dont recall lowering the speeds or anything (because we were not even getting what we were paying for) so assuming we have been on the same higher plan since Dec 16 sometime. That being said if that were the case, then Optus should be refunding $20 per month but like I said the compensation email does not state that. Can't reply to the email, so now have to spend an hour on the phone trying to get through to someone about it

A

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its sounds bizarre that the letter is not very clear on what is being offfered. Its a legally mandated process. What is the actual wroding if I might ask?

It should also clearly outline all of your possible options (including leaving at no penalty after a refund is given)

Its also pretty poor of Optus not to have set up a dedicated line / email address for handling this issue.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

SamLK
New Contributor
New Contributor

Peter yes the letter gives options, but only talks about a $20 compensation, like it said it doesnt state if that is for each month on the plan. Here is the letter:

Hi there,
We are writing to inform you that we have checked your National Broadband Network (NBN) connection and have found that you could not receive the internet speeds for your previous MY BASICS plan. We have entered into an undertaking with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and admit we likely breached the Australian Consumer Law. As a result, we are offering you compensation of $20.00.
You were on a MY BASICS plan and you received a speed pack. This means that you were promised internet speeds of up to 100/40.
The maximum speed you could receive was 35 Mbps download and 7 Mbps upload.
This means that you were promised speeds of up to 100 Mbps download and 40 Mbps upload when the fastest speeds you can actually receive are 35 Mbps download and 7 Mbps upload.
Your options
Because you could not receive the speeds you were promised, you can choose between the following options:
Option 1 - Remain on your current plan and receive compensation
You can choose to remain on your current plan with Optus. Your connection is capable of supporting the maximum speeds of your current plan. However, because you couldn't receive the speeds you were promised on your previous plan, you are entitled to compensation of $20.00.
Option 2 - Exit your contract without cost and receive compensation
You can choose to exit your Optus contract without cost. We will not charge you any early termination charges to exit your contract. You will receive compensation of $20.00 because you were promised speeds that you could not receive.
About your NBN connection
Your premises are connected to the internet using the NBN's fibre-to-the-node technology.
This means that your NBN connection is made up of two parts: (1) optic fibre to a nearby box (this is the 'node'), and (2) copper wire from the node to your premises.
The maximum speed that can be delivered to your premises is affected by several factors, including the distance and quality of the copper wire between your premises and the node, electrical interference, and the cabling in your premises.
Important things to note
Your maximum speed is a limit on what speeds you can receive, not a measurement of what you are actually receiving at all times.
If you have questions about the maximum speed you can receive on your NBN internet plan, please ask us what your maximum speed is, and what speeds you will receive during busy times.
What you need to do next
If you want to remain on your current plan and receive compensation, click here.
If you want to exit your contract without cost and receive compensation, please call Optus on 1300 478 249. We're available 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday.
0 Kudos
johnnyred
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

We are still waiting for our compensation Telstra have already paid regardig slow speeds

0 Kudos
johnnyred
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

We have not yet even receoved a letter it is so lax

0 Kudos