Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

NBN Plan compensation

corbsp

I read that Optus will be compensating people on a 100 Mbps NBN plan. I started a 25/5 entertainment NBN plan last January at $110 pm expecting to achieve those speeds. Don't  recall ever achieving 25 Mbps. Usually around 15 Mbps is my maximum with an odd occurence around 20.

I consider that Optus have not fulfilled their contracted obligation under the contract that i entered into and wonder when i will receive my compensation offer? I suppose i will need to go to the ACCC.

Solution

Re: NBN Plan compensation

petergdownload

Optus will be compensation people from all tiers. 

Optus will be contacting all affected customers email or letter by 2 March 2018.

Presumably you are one of the 1381 customers that are on 25/5 plans but unable to reach that amount.

Compensation will presumably be the difference Optus would charge between the tier you paid for ($80 25/5) and the tier you reached ($60 12/1). So $20.

That said your speeds aren't totally out of the ball park for your plan. Its possible you aern't on the list.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hideoki

So how do we know if we are on the list?

I pay for 100 down, I actually get around 60.   Is there some way to know?  Surely we should be able to get a verification.  Optus needs to be very transparent with this.  Optus FTTN customers should be able to punch in their address and find out if they are eligible.

petergdownload

I'd suspect just about anyone that ordered FTTN from Optus between September 2015 and now is on the list. So you'll likely get your letter or email. Unfortunately, it seems you'd be unlikely to opt for the compensation anyway. Three options will be given:

• remaining on their current plan with no refund;
  • moving to any lower speed plan of their choice and receiving a refund; 
  • exiting their contract without cost and with a refund.

Since Optus don't offer a 50Mbps tier then your choice would be to drop down to 25Mbps (from 60Mbps) which I imagine you're not wanting to do. Might be a good chance to exit your contract altogether but the speeds will be the same with any other NBN provider so why bother?

As a side note, I've always wondered why Optus don't offer the standard 50Mbps NBN tier. The fact they haven't means almost all people to be contacted will likely opt to continue as is. If a 50Mbps tier was on offer they'd almost certainly drop to that and take some compensation. Fluke or clever foresight by Optus?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Stephaaa92

Hi There.

I had 2 NBN services during the dates stated from the ACCC and Optus at 2 different addresses, however I ended up cancelling the contract, and no longer have an active NBN service through you guys.

Would I be entitled to the compensation as well?

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

You'll likely be contacted (past and present customers all qualify) - assuming both accounts for FTTN?

You'd definitely qualify for the "Exit contract and refund" clause however its unclear what the "Refund" component actually is. in theory it could be the entire cost of the contract paid to date, however I'd suspect it would be the diference in cost between the teir you were paying for (100Mbps?) and the teir you could actually achieve (25Mbps?). Most customers actually got the teir one below there's so that would be a $20 per month you were a customer.

I'd wait for the call (don't think there's much else you can do yet)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Dan_C

Hey @Stephaa92,

As @petergdownload has made mention of; if you're a past or present Optus NBN FTTN or FTTB customer then you will be contacted to discuss the remedies available to you. We'll be sending correspondence out to customers via email & letter by the 02/03/2018. I encourage you to reach out to us here if you haven't received communication by then.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

johnnyred

I really do think that that optus should write to the relevant customers assuring if they will be receiving compensation as Telstra already have done. We are all suffering from a poor Conservative Party decision not to have micro fibre from the node and they still continue to retain the inferior copper wiring that was a Tony Abbott and Malcolm Turnbull decision this was not done right in the first place and it should all be put right and resolve the matter as right now the speed is gopeles and inferior it is shameful.

stephaaa092

Hey There.
Thanks heaps.

Nobody has contacted me.
I have tried calling and live chat, however nobody is able to tell me anything.

Thanks

corbsp

Nobody has contacted me either and i don't suspect they will. Optus has no problem not complying with contract terms but heaven help clients if they don't.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
30 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos