cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Snelens
New Contributor

NBN Performance

Hi, I'm just wondering how many people out there are suffering performance issues with their NBN service?

We have regular drop outs & slow speeds which makes things "interesting"! Seems to be  alot of complaints over on Whirlpool forums . 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: NBN Performance

I've been on NBN FTTC for about 6 weeks now and have not noticed any dropout or connection issues. 

I'm using a non-Optus router with a fairly consistent 95+/35+ any time of day.  I do not use the Optus DNS servers as they have always been sub-par in my experience.

0 Kudos
New Contributor davehaz2019
New Contributor

NBN down completely here in Blackburn, Vic. 25/10/19
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @Snelens ,

Generally there are minimum levels you should expect. 

What NBN tech are you on? What speed plan are you on? 50Mbps or 100Mbps?

What speeds are you getting at the best of times? What speeds when it slows down? How often and when do the slow downs occur?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Snelens,

Peter asks some important questions to help us better understand the issue.

Please also be aware of our help and support page: Slow Speeds / Dropouts - NBN Troubleshooting

No reported outages found in Blackburn, davehaz2019 although there is scheduled maintenance today and tomorrow which may cause service interruptions.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor lacad01
New Contributor

I don't have "performance" issues as such but it's more a case of reliability and uptime. When the service is actually up & operational in my home, the speed is great. My main issue at the moment is that since installation (mid August) - HFC (cable based) - I have had consistent drop outs / black outs which is extremely disruptive when trying to work from home using a VPN service.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

NBN HFC is known to be prone to dropouts but its strange its only happening on a VPN connection.

Try plug your PC directly into the small NBN modem and connect (standard then VPN) with the Optus router completely unplugged.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
New Contributor lacad01
New Contributor

Thanks but it's not "only happening on VPN" connections - the dropouts are regardless. Makes no difference to plug my laptop directly into the NBN modem when I can visibly see there's an issue: Online / Upstream / Downstream indicator LEDs on the modem flashing in different sequences.
0 Kudos