cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN Modem quality

I'd always have a mobile phone around for the elderly. Its cost $10 a year to have an Amaysim plan that mean you can call any time (for free) and so can they (in an emergency).

I'd you might be better off with Telstra. Good modem with 4G backup and it does voice and data. paid off in 2 years instead of 3 and unlimited free national calls a month. No startup fee
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @BVRoberts, yes thats right. 

Once NBN is not working the landline wont work as well. This is because NBN  technology works as such, both shares the same line. This is why the landline is plugged at the back of NBN modem only.  Please note even if there is a power outage the services wont work (some NBN boxes are connected with a power back up) .

You can discuss this in detail and what other options are available with our chat team

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Aman,

Thank you for reply. Just seems strange that there is no backup for a service that is primarily part of an agreement but there is back up for another part.

Would a back up service for a landline be available from another provider?

A contributor to this thread has suggested this is possible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the information.

I will certainly look into the possibility of either changing providers or providing my father with a  mobile phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey @BVRoberts. I'm not entirely sure about other providers, however we do have the option to divert the landline if that could be a suitable option. We have some more information about how to set this up on our Manage Call Diversions: Fixed Phone which may be suitable for the situation. 

0 Kudos