cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN Modem quality

I am about to have NBN installed. I am working from so need a reliable connection.

I understand the modem supplied by Optus is poor. Should I look at another carrier or purchase an independent modem?

I would like a WiFi signal that will travel for than a few meters (at least 10 meters)

Would this be possible with the unit supplied by Optus?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted

Re: NBN Modem quality

Hi @BVRoberts, thanks for reaching out to us here.

When you sign with Optus, we supply modems that have a decent  WiFi strength and if you want you can buy a modem on  your own as well. Its just that when you buy a NBN modem from a retailer, we can then only supply limited assistance with that  if in case there are issues.  Please note you can even buy a wifi extender to be used with a Optus Modem.  Please click here  to view our approved NBN modems. 

Let us know if this helps or you can chat with our techs as well via chat .

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The Optus modem has historically been a pretty base model and wifi signal strength an issue for some, however more recently Optus have provided more capable modems that should be fine. The modem actually costs around $200 and you pay that off over 3 years (i.e. if you stay with Optus for 3 years then the modem is effectively free)

The modem also has 4G backup which may be useful in a reliability situation (the internet and phone automatically keeps working when the NBN goes out, albeit at a reduced 10Mbps or so)

You should also know that Optus don't allow you to easily use a landline unless you use their modem. So if a landline is important to you then you will need the Optus modem.

I would also suggest you look at laying an CAT6 cable from the modem to your usual workplace. Its usually not that hard and wire is always much more powerful and reliable than wifi.

Note that Optus plans now have a pretty steep up front price. All up you'll pay around $500 if you join but then decide to leave (you get to keep the Optus modem). So its definitely not a month to month service in reality anymore.

But if you feel you'll be sticking with Optus for a while then I wouldn't not join because of the modem wifi.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply. 

It is interesting you mention 4G coverage if NBN goes down. I installed Optus NBN at another location and it has lost service three times in three weeks. Only way we new it was down was that the landline phone was not working. Reset the modem and all was well again. Would 4G back up alleviate this problem and reset automatically? 

I have been with Optus for many years and find them fairly easy to work with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@BVRoberts wrote:

Only way we new it was down was that the landline phone was not working. Reset the modem and all was well again. Would 4G back up alleviate this problem and reset automatically? 

Optus' 4G backup is supposed to take 1 - 6 minutes to auto switch, but even if you get internet the phone will not work when in 4G backup mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yes, but as mentioned it can take a minute or two to kick in. It will return to normal operation when the NBN is back up again automatically.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @BVRoberts, happy to help.

The new Optus 4G back up modems, this is just to keep the connection online in case NBN has issues. Now because 4G is a mobile tech, it doesn't support landlines.  The 4G is basically using the SIM card inserted in the modem. Please note the 4G connection is still unlimited data. 

Let us know if we can assist with anything else.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Now because 4G is a mobile tech, it doesn't support landlines. "

Seems a very strange omission. "Landlines" are now just connected using the same data that you use to watch Netflix. 4G backup provides the data flow so it would seem trivial to route the phone service via the same data flow. But apparently not.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Aman_YC wrote:

Now because 4G is a mobile tech, it doesn't support landlines.

No, its the fact that Optus chose to implement it in such a way as not to support it. Telstra's 4G backup has no problem supporting it.

Optus could have supported voice calls as either data (i.e. VoIP), or as a standard mobile calls, and they chose neither.

The 4G is basically using the SIM card inserted in the modem.

If only there was some magical technology that would allow phone calls to be made using a SIM card 😕.

Please note the 4G connection is still unlimited data. 

although much slower.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The location where I have Optus NBN installed is where my elderly father is staying.

As he has used landlines for over 60 years it is a habit which is hard to break.

Does this mean he potentially has no landline if NBN goes down for an extended time? If so this is disappointing. How many elderly people do not use a mobile phone but would prefer to use the landline connection? 

0 Kudos