cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Diso
New Contributor

NBN Migration

Can the NBN connection and the old ADSL/analogue phone connection exist at the same time? 

I was supposed to be migrated to the NBN on 14 Dec but the old phone and internet connections are still working and if I connect the new modem Optus sent me it shows it is connected to the ADSL2 connection. I have chatted with the NBN team at Optus and they assure me the NBN internet and phone service are active on my line!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: NBN Migration

There are select situations where “yes” it can...

If your NBN service is, FTTP, HFC, FW then these don’t use your phone line.

However, if you will get FTTN or FTTC then no they can’t co-exist.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
New Contributor Diso
New Contributor

Thank you it is a FTTN service so it must not be connected, although the freindly people at Optus assure me it is "fully active"!

I guess I will have to cantact hem again.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Try running some speed tests with each modem plugged in. 

Your old ADSL connection would have maxed out at maybe 15Mbps? Maybe much slower?

The new NBN would go faster depending on your plan (25Mbps? 50Mbps?) 

Its possible the euipment is configuring its self automatically (as ADSL and FTTN are in some ways different flavours of the same technology)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Diso
New Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion. I have tested it and it is running at 512Kbs, we are a long distance from the exchange, thats why I have been so keen to get NBN connected! Also it will only connect using the old username and password the new ones don't work.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

If you are on FTTN, you need to change your modem to connect as “VDSL2” not “ADSL2”. As this can cause issues and slow speeds.

also, are you using an FTTN capable modem?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That definitely sounds like the FTTN hasn't kicked in yet.

Optus should be able (and are actually legally required) to run a speed test (from their end) to your new NBN modem and confirm the maximum likely speed it is capable off.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Diso
New Contributor

Thanks to you both for the advice!

I have just been on the phone with Optus again. It appears you are correct and  I am still on ADSL despite the NBN reporting that we are connected! They are sending a technician to try and fix it on Monday. Who knows might get NBN for Christmas.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

G'day @Diso, if you'd like us to go in and take a look, I'm happy to do that for you.

Can I get you to send us a private message? I'll need your full name, DOB and account number. 

I'll take a look at the status of the order, I'll also confirm whether we do have technician booked to go out.

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos