Searching...

Re: NBN Maximum Speed Refund ...

[ Edited ]
Sithlord

As I wrote above TPG states I'm getting 14Mbps.

However, the 12Mbps Optus line speed I reference here I obtained from the router and not Optus. 

So, the official speed may have been closer to the 14, I can't be sure. So, I can't say that I got over 12Mbps even once, I guess only Optus would know that.

Any way. thanks for the help. I do appreciate the time people take to answer questions.

Since I had the same issue with 2 other ISP's I think I'll just contact the ombudsman see what they say.

iPhone X 256Gb, iPad Pro 12.9 64GB, iMac 27inch 5K 3.2Ghz 32GB, QNAP NAS, Apple Watch S3 LTE, ASUS RT-AC87U WRT-Merlin + other devices.

Paddylee

During co-existance (18 months post nbn go live) nbn only has to supply up 12Mbit

Once they turn off all the other copper its 25Mbit minimum from my understanding.

Sounds like your line has a physical fault - and only NBN can fix that (unlss its a fault of your internal wiring then they will pass the issue back to you to get a licensed person to fix the issue)

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Sithlord

ahh, I see. I wasn't aware of that. 

I'll just write to Optus and the Ombudsman and see what happens. If it is a fault with the line I'll just keep pursuing the NBN to fix it, but I won't hold my breath lol

iPhone X 256Gb, iPad Pro 12.9 64GB, iMac 27inch 5K 3.2Ghz 32GB, QNAP NAS, Apple Watch S3 LTE, ASUS RT-AC87U WRT-Merlin + other devices.
Solution

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Hi @Sithlord,

I think @Paddylee is missing the more likely scenario here?

You're on FTTN and your line can only go 14Mbps max. If you were charged for 25Mbps plan then you're entitled to end the contract without penaly and be refunded for the perfomance different ($5-$10 a month I believe). You should get any cancellation fee refunded in the process.

Contact your current RSP and ask them to run a speed test on your line and tell you the max likely speed attainable. The point is if that's 14 and you got sold a 25Mbps plan that's illegal.

If Optus haven't contacted you yet it would suggest that they don't think you're an affected customer although their deadlines are quite possibly slipping. you can also try contacting the ACCC for assistance as they are the ones requiring the refunds.

Perhaps a mod can get your details and let you know where to get on the list. Otherwise write an official complaint to Optus

Customer Relations Group
PO Box 306
SALISBURY SOUTH
SA 5106

Mention the timeframe has ended and you haven't been contacted. They should respond within 4 days.

Good  Luck

Peter Gillespie

Sithlord

Hey, @Paddylee

Thank you for that information, I'll do as you write.

At the time I found it to be just bad business practice. After my bad experience with Telstra Optus assured me during the sales pitch I'd get close to 25Mbps. That never happened. I plead  with them not to charge me exit fees, it wasn't fair, but I just kept receiving standard replies. In the end, I had to pay out the contract. Then I went to TPG they were, at least, more reliable and had better customer service.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. I know what options I have now.

Sithlord

Optus contacted me via email just over a week ago and they are refunding me $263. Which is good. They're sending a cheque within 2 weeks. Although, Telstra and TPG said the same thing but it took 2 months to actually get the money. So I'm not holding my breath. :-)

Highlighted

SimonF

I’m in a similar boat. I find it quite humorous and also depressing that here in Australia consumers are treated so poorly by Telco companies. Telstra has been as bad as Optus, to me, in the past. One aspect few touch on is the total lack of accountability to consumers, at these forms.

That they offshore all technical support to people who are often ill equipped to offer any solutions and have been trained to offer a never ending series of apologies. It’s cynical time wasting and this has made me only more determined to receive compensation. They seem to know that at about 3,4 calls most people give up and so they are trained to procrastinate and waffle on with useless sentences pronouncing how sorry they are and how they are going on take care of you. It is totally hollow. 

It seems these group chats, like Yescrowd, are mostly filled with well meaning people, yet people who have accepted they are being ripped off and are looking for band aids. I have yet to see one person on this site, write the protocol to get Australian technical support and then proceed to refund, if warranted, which it often is.  If anyone has this, then it kudos which is genuinely earned.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
110 Kudos
41 Kudos
31 Kudos
18 Kudos
14 Kudos