Searching...
Accepted Solution

NBN Maximum Speed Refund ...

Sithlord

I was an Optus FTTN customer, Optus could not supply the speeds it promised (I was on a 25Mbps but got less than 12Mbps down).

I begged and plead Optus to let me exit the contract without paying any cancellation fee. Optus forced me to pay out the contract.

This webpage http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer?requestType=NormalRequest&typeid=6&id=9374 says Optus will be in touch with those affected "no later than the 2nd of March".

I haven't received any letter in the mail or email, nor a phone call.

I called the number provided 1300 170 576 and a man with a very thick Indian accent tried to explain to me that Optus will be getting in touch with me at some stage.

I'm wondering how I can know if I'm entitled to a refund for being overcharged AND also be refunded the cancellation fees.

And just to clarify I left Optus NBN, however, I am still an Optus customer for my mobile devices.‬

iPhone X 256Gb, iPad Pro 12.9 64GB, iMac 27inch 5K 3.2Ghz 32GB, QNAP NAS, Apple Watch S3 LTE, ASUS RT-AC87U WRT-Merlin + other devices.

Re: NBN Maximum Speed Refund ...

Paddylee

2 different issues.

Your issue: You did not reach your plans "up to" speed but this was not due to the technology used and distance to the node.

The issue in that link in regards to refunds: Your line physically could not supply the speed & plan you were paying for.

E.g. Paid for a 100/40 plan but due to distance to the node your line could only connect at 65/28 - you would be entitled to the speedpack refund on the 100/40 plan as the line could not meet the plan.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Sithlord

I'm not sure I understand. 

I paid for 25Mbps speed as advertised, Optus could not supply that speed.

Telstra just refunded me $738, and TPG is about to refund me $100 and a no-fee exit from the contract for the very same reason.

So, I can't see what you wrote is correct.

iPhone X 256Gb, iPad Pro 12.9 64GB, iMac 27inch 5K 3.2Ghz 32GB, QNAP NAS, Apple Watch S3 LTE, ASUS RT-AC87U WRT-Merlin + other devices.

Paddylee

Not sure how to make it easier

If you purchased a 100/40 plan from Optus then NBN notified Optus that the line due to physical length or damage could only service up to 65/20 speed then you would have been contacted by Optus and offered a refund on the months previous as per the terms on the page you linked.

Your issue was not the above (unless your line cant meet the minimum standard of 25/5 from nbn - and would have been told this alread).

Your issue was that you did not get the expected speed from your service due to not enough capacity being purchased by Optus from NBN itself.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

petergdownload

I assume you've changed RSPs for your internet? Are you getting better than 12Mbps with them?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

petergdownload

"Your issue was that you did not get the expected speed from your service due to not enough capacity being purchased by Optus from NBN itself."

@Paddylee that's yet to be shown IMO. Not enough CVC should have only affected peak hour speeds.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Sithlord

I was with Telstra and they couldn't supply the advertised speed. They've refunded me $738 because of this.

Then I went to TPG, and they sent me an email last week offering me a partial refund of $100 and a no exit fee to cancel the contract with them.

This is what TPG wrote in the email:

"The maximum speeds you can actually receive are 14.246Mbps download and 1.63Mbps upload.

This means that you are paying for speeds of up to 25Mbps download and 5Mbps upload, when the fastest speeds you can actually receive are 14.246Mbps download and 1.63Mbps upload."

This is why I'm confused about the other person's comment.

Highlighted

Paddylee

Very hard to determine anything as we dont have all the facts to start with e.g. line stats.

Everyone should have been contacted if their physical line could not support the speed purchased.

Sithlord

According to the person I talked with when I rang Optus today the best I could understand what he was saying is that due to the number of customers being affected Optus will contact me at some stage.

This answer I found confusing since Optus' website state "no later than the 2nd of March.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

So the key think @Sithlord is are you getting better than 12Mbps now? Did you ever get better than 12Mbps when with Optus (even once?)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
112 Kudos
41 Kudos
31 Kudos
18 Kudos
15 Kudos