Searching...

NBN Mac OS 10.6.8 conflict

VO

Just had NBN installed. Now my desktop computer running Mac OS 10.6.8 freezes after start up. Laptop running later system is fine.

Extra weird thing is when I move the desktop computer to another room away from the NBN box it starts up fine, and all other software works fine, but freezes as soon as I try to use anything that requires internet; mail, browser, updates etc.

Am considering trying with a different modem on a separate network, but would prefer not to run two accounts.

Re: NBN Mac OS 10.6.8 conflict

petergdownload

The issue would seem likely related to the modem wifi? 

Try turning off wifi and plugging the mac into a wired connection to the modem.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

VO

Thanks Peter.

I tried that, but the computer freezes up if it is anywhere near the modem or NBN box.

I think there are two separate issues;

- new modem conflict with older operating system, and

- some kind of interference (magnetic? electrical?) that is affecting the computer's performance.

Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with Mac OS 10.6.8 and NBN, and have they found a fix?

petergdownload

If your PC still freezes when you have wifi turned off and it comes close to the modem then either the modem or the PC has a serious hardware fault. 

Don't suppose you can Upgrade os. Possibly do complete clean reinstall?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

VO

Upgrade not an option as I want to keep running older software.

Found a very simple fix which at

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7203398?start=0&tstart=0

For those not wanting to follow the link, IVP6 setting in netwrork preferences needs to be set to off instead of automatic.

Credit for this solution needs to go to Tammy in the apple forum thread (above).

No more crashes. WiFi on old Mac OS now works fine with new modem.

Haven't tried to physically re-introduce the iMac to the new NBN gear again yet. They are still living in separate rooms for now. I hope they can be friends one day.

Blast

Setting  IVP6 to off instead of automatic in Network Preferences/Advanced worked. After changing the setting, the desktop and laptop are useable again. First Airport needs to be turned off and Ethernet cable connecting computer to modem disconnected. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
14 Kudos