cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor kp2110
New Contributor

NBN HFC vs FTTN

I am in the process of switching from Optus cable to NBN and have been told that my address will be getting FTTN, however we do not have any copper lines run or phone sockets installed inside our house. I have a few questions: Does NBN HFC use the same type of cable and socket as Optus high speed cable? Is NBN HFC better than FTTN? Is it possible to request that my NBN connection uses HFC instead of FTTN?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NBN HFC vs FTTN

You get no choice in what technology the NBN uses to hook your house up. You can confirm your current scheduled technology at the NBN site. What date does the site say yours is arriving?

Assuming its FTTN then you may need to wire your own internal copper. NBNCo will wire a lead in to your home up to the front of your house (There may be a nominal charge for this ~$300, but in most cases its free). On the day the technician may be happy to run the cable a bit further into the house if its not too hard. Its up to them when you ask.

FWIW Optus will shut your HFC connection down around 3 months after the NBN is available in your street (so get onto deciding a ISP to supply the NBN to you - That can be Optus or any other ISP)

Note that FTTN is indeed the worst of the NBN technologies but that doesn't mean its all bad. Its just there is a fair variability of what speeds it can supply and you won't know what your hom is until you get hooked up. 75%+ of homes will get 50Mbps+ but 25% of homes might struggle to get 50Mbps early on.)

Peter Gllespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors