Searching...

NBN HFC Speed pack 4 - ul limited to 20mbps

tafxyz

So, I had "speed pack 4" enabled on my service (NBN on HFC)

Unfortunately I find cannot achieve UL speed above 20mbps when using the Optus Sagemcom router.

I have tested the NBN connection by plug my PC in directly to the NBN modem.

With that setup I can get full 40mbps UL.

When I put the Optus router back into the mix, limited to 20mbps.

Can anyone confirm if the Optus router has such a limitation?

Re: NBN HFC Speed pack 4 - ul limited to 20mbps

petergdownload

Its not a hardware limitation. Plenty of NBN Optus customers on 40Mbps upload.

It may be a faulty modem. Or possibly Optus are limiting the bandwidth when they detect their modem etc. 

Can only suggest you contact them directly and see if they can't flick a switch on the backend. Otherwise get them to send out a replacement modem.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
BevanT

I've just "been moved" over to nbn and I, too, opted for the 100/40 Speed pack 4. 

I found exactly the same issue - download can get up to 93, but upload capped at 20.

I followed what you did and am able to confirm that if I plug my own router directly into nbn, I can get close to 40 upload but if it's through the Optus modem, it caps at 20. 

Optus tech support is pretty hopeless (the woman asked me why I needed 40, and then raised a ticket - she calls that "troubleshooting" - I'm still waiting for someone to call me back), so while I suspect it needs a firmware upgrade (as there's nowhere in the settings page to adjust speed limits), in the mean time, I've plugged my own router directly into nbn and plugged the Optus modem into one of the ports of my router.

The only reason for doing that is because I need the phone port. It works.

petergdownload

"The woman asked me why I needed 40" Smiley Very Happy

So you are now getting 40 upload with the router? Just no longer have the landline working? What NBN technology do you have? HFC?

If the speeds are only happening on the Optus modem (and they can't figure out why from their end) then I'd request they send out a replacement. There are no FW updates available.

Peter Gillespie

BevanT

I'm now getting 40 upload (haven't figured out for what yet), and the phone still working as I plugged the Optus modem into one of the ports of my router. 

The other end goes into the WAN port of the Optus modem, so the phone still works. 

Yeah, I'll request a new modem. Why we have to do the work of the tech support people I don't know.

"Why do you need 40 upload?"

"'cos I'm paying for it!"

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos