Searching...

NBN HFC Dropouts/Corroded Telstra Copper Lines

Zhamier

Hi I just want to ask if anyone is experiencing or experienced the dilema I'm facing right now.

I'm currently connected with Optus HFC NBN and I have very unstable connection and lots of dropouts.My problem starts in the beginning of this year around mid of January. Then NBN tech came over fixt it up and it was alright between february and march still have drop out but bearable. But coming end of march the drop outs became so frequent all throught the day and up to now its still the same. 

My problem is already been escalated to case manager, to supervisor and to back end team and re-escalated again because its still unresolved. Also there's already been a lot of NBN technician that came over to change the wirings and check the signals. My modem is also been replaced around couple weeks ago. Yesterday another NBN technician came over to do another test and  said that the signal is good inside the house and outside. The result of the test came pass but when he check it again its fail then pass then fail, fail, then pass , so basically the connection we having is on and off. He said that the source of the problem could be the old telstra line thats underground that might be corroded. I believe the old telstra line his talking about is the copper line that NBN connected to that goes to the node.

My question is who will replace that old telstra copper line is it the NBN or  the optus? Because I have no problem when I was still using the ADSL last year, which the NBN box now is connected to now. Also if you've experienced this situation, what did you do?

Thank you for the time reading this.

Re: NBN HFC Dropouts/Corroded Telstra Copper Lines

Paddylee

HFC based NBN does not use the copper telefone cable, it uses the coax cable that was normally from the power pole.

As you have a NBN HFC service it would be up to NBN themselves to provide you a new coax lead in cable if it was required.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Zhamier

Hi is that coax cable underground or above? because we have 5 or so NBN visits already and the persons who were at home during the visits said NBN tech fix/ replace the wiring inside (nbn wall socket) and outside ( probably the grey box). 

Yesterday the tech said it could be old telstra line underground, same as always my connection still the same after the visit still on and off.

So I have to wait for another call from optus within 24-48 hours.

Paddylee

Depends on your area as to where the HFC coax is above or underground.

Its pretty unsightly black/grey cable if above ground, underground its out of site (unless some person/animal digs it up).

NBN over HFC has had numeorus issues and was put on hold for ~6 months so they could work out ways to fix issues like yours with drop outs and other issues like it.

As you have had techs visiting your at least on the path to having it fixed - its just getting NBN to actually do anything is normally an uphill battle.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Zhamier

Ok so it's another waiting game, probably have to contact optus for credits for the months I paid my bill and didn't get the service I paid for. And I'm not paying anymore more bill until this issue is resolve. 

Thanks for the infos

Dan_C

The original roll-out plan did incorporate our existing HFC infrastructure (the overhead HFC lead-in cables). There are customers in QLD who are using an Optus HFC lead-in cable to access the NBN network. These customers signed up when we were piloting the service a couple of years back.

All new connections utilise Telstra's existing underground HFC infrastructure. This is aged infrastructure, corrosion could potentially be an issue. Had the lead-in cables been assessed by an NBN tech? 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Zhamier

That I'm not sure about I'm always at work when they visit. I'm just waiting for the call back and I'll ask them about it. 

Dan_C

Ah, no problem. 

Can you let us know how it all goes? If you need us to follow up, we'd be glad to do that for you. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos