cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN HFC Connection

I am utterly confused and no phone perator can answer my question. I am trying to self connect to the NBN on HFC which Optus says I can. Online gives me the option to self install and I already have cable connected to the house and existing Foxtel through cable (for nearly 25 years).

All research tells me that all I need is an NBN connection box connected to my existing cable socket and a splitter to split my NBN and Foxtel. Seems like a pretty easy self install task (provided I get the equipment) and yet I am told that I need a technician to vist my house to do the install. Wouldn't normally care except that the earliest they can come is mid January.

Can anyone tell me what a technician needs to do beside plug in the NBN connection box and split to my Foxtel, that I couldn't do myself. Is there some highly technical part of this connection process that I am missing?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN HFC Connection

The NBN does not use Optus Cable (that is being dismantelled shortly)

Foxtel via Optus is also shortly defunct (if not already?).

You need the the NBN to install a connection to your home. Check here for the date and technology used. (Sounds like it is in January)

After the NBN has connected your house you are free to choose any ISP (Optus or other) to supply high speed internet to your home. Plugging in a new modem as you say is all it will take (or keep using the existing one)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Exile11,

When my family were first connected to HFC by way of HFC-NBN, we also had a Foxtel service at the time.

The NBN connection was supplied through Optus and the Foxtel was supplied via Foxtel directly.

The NBN technician did actually have a spare coaxial splitter in his van. He installed the splitter, NTD (NBN connection box) and connected our modem and Foxtel. 

If your Foxtel services uses the existing underground HFC cables to provide service, I think you should be okay. 

Edit* Having read through your post again, it sound like it's an Optus supplied Foxtel service? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Clarification: my Foxtel has been delivered through the original Foxtel cable, subsequently owned by Telstra and now taken over by the NBN.

@Dan_C; you have confirmed my earlier contention that all that is required is an NBN connection box and a splitter, that could be sent to my home aand self installed by myself. It appears that nobody on this forum can say what else a technician actually visiting my home would do.

Therefore; an unnecessary 7 week wait to have my NBN activated, when I could be up and running ASAP. Seems like another example of Optus putting unnecessay roadblocks in the way of customer service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, right. NBN do denote a number known as a service class to each address. This number correlates with the NBN infrastructure already present at the address. NBN-HFC connections are classed between 20-24. 

Sounds like your address is a service class 22. 

For example, our property had both Optus HFC and Telstra HFC leadin cables installed. NBN was still required to go out and install a face plate and the NTD (connection box). 

In the case, he'd be coming to install the NTD and NBN wall plate.

7 weeks does seem like an oddly long time-frame. If you like, I can go in and take a look. 

Can I get you to send us a private message? Include your full name, DOB and order number. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Exile11,

The NBN are indeed taking over existing Telstra cabling. Since you're posting on an Optus forum it was unclear if you had a Telstra lead in already. 

You're correct that you could probably plug into your current cable but in the case of the NBN there is a strictly defined process for nominating a house is RTC (Ready To Connect). You can't side step this with common sense, competence or bribery. Best you can hope for is that Optus (Dan?) can negotiate for a earlier sign off. 

Peter Gillespie