Searching...

NBN HFC Connection - will my existing cabling (Optus or Foxel) be used?

sat01

I'm an existing Optus Cable internet customer.   I'm also a Foxtel (via cable) customer.

NBN HFC will be available in my area later this year (2017).   Currently, I have two cables (Optus, Foxtel) connected to my property.   When the NBN HFC is connected, is a third cable connected to my property? 

Scenario 1.   If I elect to stay with Optus, therefore transferring from Cable Internet to the NBN, is the existing Optus cable utilised?

Scenario 2.   If I elect to go with another provider, is somehow, the existing cable utilised?   

If existing cabling is used, I assume some form of a splitter is used, would this adversely affect the service or connection speeds in anyway?

Re: NBN HFC Connection - will my existing cabling (Optus or Foxel) be used?

tbz

NBN will be connected to your Foxtel/Telstra Cable.

A splitter is usually attached between the wall and Foxtel box which allows the NTD to attach to the same outlet. If you have a spare Foxtel outlet that can be used as well.

Eventually the old Optus cable will be removed from the house.

The Telstra/Fox cable will be used no matter which provider is used.

sat01

Thanks for the information.

I have three Foxtel outlets, all connected.   At NBN connection time, will I have the option as to which particular existing outlet will be the NBN connection (split at that outlet) point? 

tbz

You can ask them to connect to any outlet you like and move it later if you need to.

But.... this install could be a problem as I think they only like to have 3 drops in one premisis, then you need an amplifier.

I don't know this for sure, it's only what I recall reading somewhere and I don't know much about the amplifier either but I think it gets installed into your outside box and needs to be powered from a power point.

Maybe you don't need 3 foxtel boxes anymore....

Highlighted

sat01

I could probably do away with one Foxtel point, but for argument sake, if I don't, yes I can see it all of a sudden becoming a problem.    I assume the cable installer is not qualified to move powerpoints and hence that's where a potential explosion in costs and delays occur.

tbz

I don't know who would pay for the amp but they would certainly ask you to arrange for the power point.

You could make a HFC wall socket available for the NTD install and then just add the indoor splitter later and see if it upsets the NTD's ability to stay connected.Can't hurt to try.

Worst case you loose a Foxtel connection and utilise Foxtel Go at that point instead.

Hannah-L

Hey @sat01, NBN Co have a really good info page on the HFC technology, they elaborate a bit more on the in-home amplifier there.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
101 Kudos
63 Kudos
26 Kudos
25 Kudos
18 Kudos