cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN Fixed Wireless downgrades service

Thanks Paddylee. The information does seem a bit 'buried'. Placed half way down a dense page about speed packs (not NBN services) in non highlighted fonts. Perhaps it got a mention elsewhere.

No reason they have to sell wireless internet (or tell anyone they don't) I suppose but I can imagine why they might not want to make a song and dance about deciding not to support a host of regional households.

I wonder if its part of a deeper decision to just stop trying to compete with the market leader on the regionals? After a decade of offering lower priced mobile as an implicit recognition of their No 2 status outside of the metro areas OPtus have also decided to go unapologetic and boosted pricing to close to par with more expensive offerings.

IMO it seems Optus are focusing on where they can best win the fight and make the most profit (not unreasonable for a company strategy) like good 4G (except in rural), Inner city 5G and non-regional NBN. Could be a good strategy to burden rivals with expensive zones that Optus just can't win over anyway. But its not a great look.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Coverage checker for nbn will not return a serviceable result for fixed wireless areas - so thats the point of sale for those plans - so wont be any more.

NBN Fixed wireless most likely caused too many issues and let to poor customer satisfaction, tower congestion cant be fixed by the RSP, it has nothing to do with CVC at all.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi all,
Optus is exiting NBN provided Fixed Wireless as they are offering their own 5G Mobile Wireless - unfortunately their choice has dumped a heck of a lot of Rural (and not so Rural!) users who's only choice was NBN Fixed Wireless right in it!!
Seems this is not an NBN issue as we have also received the Optus "take a slower speed or go elsewhere" letter, even though our tower and the backhaul has been upgraded by NBN and can offer much higher speeds.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for the update. I switched to Telstra and apart from a few times of the day when everybody goes online the download averages about 46 Mbps and the upload averages 6 Mbps, and that is through one of the 9 recognized high traffic NBN antennas in Australia. Well done Telstra. 

I was a very early adopter of the Optus mobile service in Australia because they had courage, were super keen and were determined to make their mark in the Australian market. Sadly that time has past and like most foreign investors, their hunger lies in other markets. Without proper representation in State and Federal politics the digital future of the bush will vacillate and languish.

0 Kudos