cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN Fixed Wireless downgrades service

On 12Nov Optus NBN fixed wireless customers were given the option to change carriers or accept new Tier2 download/upload speeds. As a loyal customer I opted to remain with Optus but now those new guaranteed Tier 2 speeds are rarely achieved - they vary through the day to an average of 40% of Tier 2 speeds. Why and for how long do Optus fixed wireless customers have to suffer such an abysmal offerring or this yet again the ‘rural solution’?
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: NBN Fixed Wireless downgrades service

It was nbn that made the changes to their network.
Optus no longer sells the nbn fixed wireless service, leaving only existing customers (with slower speeds) or the option to move to a provider that will be selling the newer nbn implemented speed plans.

Nbn fixed wireless will always have capacity issues unfortunately, didnt think Optus was offering the newer speeds at all.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I feel for you Dorpers. Unfortunately all the speed guarantees that the rest of the NBN technologies enjoy seem to be excluded on fixed wireless by Optus. Its also hard to determine if the issue is NBNCo, the technology or Optus.

If you've complained to Optus and they've confirmed that the NBN Wireless in your area is only capable of 50% speeds then it might be time to try another RSP just to see if they can't provide better performance.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

What you describe sounds like NBN Cell congestion, though unfortunately NBN will only consider a service affected by congestion if you get below 6mbit.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

We were on Speed Pack 3 and very rarely had a problem with our internet connection! From 1st December we were dropped to Speed Pack 2 and have had nothing but the fantastic Circle of Doom every day, when I spoke to Optus they said to contact NBN which I did, NBN said to contact Optus! Another Circle of Doom. We also received a letter from Optus on the 12th December telling us if we were not happy with the new speed, we could move to another service provider by 14th December! We have had a whole two days to decide! Optus, seriously what are are you doing? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have been with Optus since they first started in AUS plus one of the first on fixed wireless in this part of AUS but trust me, loyalty is a historical term and irrelevant today. Go to Telstra for you fixed wireless internet, despite the new friends you’ll make in Hyderabad as opposed to Cabanatuan, they all know what they’re talking about with a commitment to 75/10 in the future and after all, it still is an Australian company. Cheers and good luck because internet in AUS is all about luck.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus shouldn't be telling you to talk to the NBN. The NBN customer is Optus. You are an Optus customer. If there is an issue you talk to Optus and they do what is needed (including talking to the NBN).

Unfortunately most of the speed guarantees that other NBN technologies now have don't apply to Fixed Wireless. You should be able to move (or leave) anytime if the service is particularly substandard.

As an option there are other NBN RSPs that do true month to month plans. You could hope onto one of those and see if your situation improves. YOu may find the speeds etc. just as bad and this would indicate an underlying NBN issue and not a RSP issue. You could also jump back to Optus anytime. One example would be ABB.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

The only problem is if you leave Optus Fixed Wireless NBN for another provider, you cannot go back to Optus as they are apparently not signing up any new customers! So once you leave, if you want to go back you are then a new customer! I have also been told by Optus that they are getting out of Fixed Wireless! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That's news to me. Fixed wireless is probably the dodgiest NBN tech for delivering broadband. It is very susceptible to congestion if to many want too much. While its possible Optus have put it in the 'not worth the agro' column I don't think any large RSP would be game enough to just refuse to service a large chunk of regional users. Perhaps @Ray_YC can confirm?

The not getting back on is possible but not because Optus won't. Its possible the wireless tower you are on is over subscribed and NBNCo won't add more customers until it has been upgraded. But that's a bit of a guess on my part. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/nbn-speed-packs

From 16/09/19 Optus no longer sells nbn Fixed Wireless to new customers.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos